News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Do I have Celiac?

bakhteria - Tue Apr 26, 2005 12:58 pm

I find this Gliadin stuff very confusing. My doctor diagnosed me with IBS and said that since Celiac is often under diagnosed, he would like to do a immunoglobulin panel as well. The test came back as following:

Component Low Range High Range Range Unit Results Analysis
ENDOMYSIAL ANTIBODY Negative
IGG 751 1560 mg/dl 1200
IGA 82 453 mg/dl 211
IGM 48 304 mg/dl 106
TTG <5 U/ml <3
GLIADIN AB IGG <11 U/ml <3
GLIADIN AB IGA <11 U/ml 56 high

So how is it that EMA and TTG are negative but Gliadin IGA is 500%+ the max? I thought that EMA and TTG were more sensitive and specific. I know that NIH does not recommend Gliadin tests for Celiac any more but their reasoning was that it wasn't as sensitive not that it is in accurate.
I have mouth ulcers that I get every once in a while and all else is fine. My CBC, liver, and kidney functions were fine with no calcium or potassium deficiencies.
So the question remains, do I have Celiac?
 julie5914 - Wed May 18, 2005 12:47 pm

I think they usually call these inconclusive blood tests - it could be that you have gluten sensitivity rather than celiac. If you need to know for sure, you will need an endoscopy. Otherwise, you can try a gluten-free diet (see celiac.com for more info or find a book on this) to see if it helps. After about a month on the diet, you can then challenge it by eating wheat and see what happens. This will not necessarily mean celiac for sure, but at least you will know what is bothering you. I am not a doctor - this info is just from my own research in dealing with the same problem.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here