Question: LFT, Cholesterol, Ferritin elevations

marianna33 - Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:38 am

I'm Mari, I really do not know where to start, so will just spill it! Dr. did routine labs about 8 months ago, iron levels were high she said, along with elevated LFt, and cholesterol. Called last week to have blood work repeated. My LFT tests were...AST 72 up from 64, ALT 85 up from 72. MCV 102.2, MCH 34.9.....
Cholesteral 305...Trig 232...HDL 61....CHOL/HDL Ratio 5.0...LDL 198. Ferritin 563.9
I have been missing menses for a yr, (but have had break through bleeding twice), did US of that and all was well, Dr. said I am in menopause and I am 45 yrs old. Have periodic joint pain, some shortness of breath, decreased libido, and am bone weary most of the time. BM's are oddly yellowish and loose. I was adopted at the age of two, so have no family medical history available to me.
I had abdomonal ultrasound done last week, and am due to see GI guy on the 9th of May.That seems an eternity away! lol
I guess I am looking for reasurance that hemochromatosis may be what I a have. Dr, she wants to rule out Wilson disease, but to me that doesn't fit.
Any input would be greatly appreciated at this time....I want to be able to interact with the Dr. in GI. intellegently.Thank you so much for listening (reading) to me!
Look forward to any responses,
~Mari
 marianna33 - Sat Apr 30, 2005 8:43 am

I forgot to add that all Hep labs were normal.
 Dr. Anthony Solomon - Wed May 04, 2005 6:57 pm

Can you supply the results of all liver function tests done 8 months ago, as well as any other tests done then? Also, let me know your body weight and height.

From the results you posted, it is apparent that you have combined hyperlipidaemia, mildly abnormal liver tests and markedly elevated Ferritin (Normal range for a female is 4-161 ng/ml).

Hemochromatosis is a genetic disease that usuallly occurs in males, but in affected females, the clinical disease appears 10-20 years after menopause. I will discuss the disease in detail in my subsequent post.

You said "all Hep labs were normal". Please give detailed results.

Dr Anthony Solomon
 marianna33 - Fri May 06, 2005 6:45 am

Hmmmmm, I did reply to you Dr. Solomon, for some reason it didn't post. Thank you for your reply. These are my past AST and ALT.
AST 64
ALT 72
Ferritin 563.9
current blood work:
Total protein 7.5
Albumin 4.2
Total Bili 0.9
Conj Bili 0.2 (this is on the high end, normal being 0.0 - 0.2)
Alk Phos 84
AST 72
ALT 85
Hep panel:
HBSAG nonreact
HEP B CORE IGM nonreact
Hep A AB (IGM) nonreact
HEP C AB NEG (A)

I am 5'5" and weigh approx 165 lbs.
Thank you for any input you can give me,
~Mari

|