Question: Need help on something

flameglow - Sat May 07, 2005 4:14 pm

I recently had a Cat Scan abdominal/pelvic region for unexplained abdominal pain for the past 3 years. Had colonoscopy 3 years, was fine. I have pain under my left rib cage that has been going on for 3 years, comes and goes, but can be painful when it happens. If I press on my higher stomach it is very sore and has been. I have mild nausea, my appetitie isn't as good, feel tired and weak. my blood work is fine and so is my stool.

My cat scan revealed this and wondering if you can explain to me what this might mean. I see a gastro DR next month.

Focal mucosal thickening in the body to distal antrum of the stomach may represent underlying mural lesion. Recoomen endoscopy or ugi series.

Is mucosal thickening bad?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Wed Jun 28, 2006 4:03 pm

User avatar Dear flameglow,
It is very difficult to tell what this could be. Mural thinking of the stomach means thickening of the wall of the stomach, a finding that could be seen in many different condition , e.g. an inflammatory gastritis and cancer. What you definitely need is further investigation like barium follow through (GI series) or upper endoscopy. Starting with an upper GI series may be preferred by some doctors, to be sure that there are no other types of lesions in the GI tract. After that endoscopy is done for visualization of the lesion, better characterization and Biopsy (if possible is taken) for pathological diagnosis.
Reading the report of the CT is not enough to decide which investigation is to be done as a next step, your consultant can better decide which investigation should be done now, and you should follow his advise.
Wish you the best,

|