Question: Pain in right side

amy050300 - Tue May 10, 2005 9:10 am

I have a pain on my right side, slightly under my rib cage. It's been there for about 4 mths. It's kind of between my hip bone and the lower part of my rib. It is not constant... it only really happens when I am laying on my left side, after about 3 minutes a sharp pain will start to present in my right side, to the point that I have to change postiion. It typically goes away immediatly (once I change postiion) however today it just feels like a dull ache that is still there. I should also say that I could try to fall asleep on my left side and have to move because of the pain, however in the morning I can awake laying on my left side and have no pain at all. It's just that when it's there, it really hurts!

I've had blood tests done for liver function etc., I've had ultrasounds done of my spleen, kidney, lower lung... yet nothing appears to be wrong.

I'm just concerned about why the pain is there, and the fact that I have 4 weeks pregnant I really want to make sure I'm ok... or not.

My doctor has told me that she just doesn't know what else to do at this point... so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Tue May 10, 2005 6:49 pm

Dear Amy,

Have you asked your gynaecologist about your condition?

best regards,
 amy050300 - Wed May 11, 2005 10:49 am

No I have not, I didn't really think of asking her.. I have been seeing a fertility specialist for the last 6 mths. We have been trying to get pregnant for 2 years, I had 3 miscarriages last year (one involving a D&C) and have had so many ultrasounds and blood tests, that I I assumed that they would have caught it with all the testing.

My pregnancy is at 5 weeks right now, I did fertility medication for the first time last month (IUI process), but have been taking the progesterone supplement since December (off and on - time of conception until day my period is due to start, when I had a negative result I stopped the progesterone).

So this is something I should bring up with my fertiity specialist or my ob/gyn?

Thanks! Amy
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Wed May 11, 2005 4:43 pm

Well, I think it'd be wise to tell your fertility/gyn doctors... since nothing have been proven by regular labs or ultrasound....may be it's something they have a background of, with your medical history with them?

Best wishes,

|