News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Server Abdominal cramps after eating

ElapheG - Thu May 12, 2005 12:11 am

For the past few months I have been experiencing sever, excruciating, abdominal cramps within minutes of eating. This is followed by server gas, and very watery diarrhea. This is not an on again off again kind of thing. It is extreamly rare that this does not occur, and again, it has been an every day thing for months. It doesn't seem to be going away.

Here is the puzzling thing I just found out from my wife, that she has been experiencing the same symptoms herself for quite some time.

What could this be? We both work in the pet trade, could that mean something?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 12, 2005 3:15 am

User avatar Hi ElapheG,
Since both of you are experiencing the same symptoms, I would take into consideration an intestinal infection/infestation by a parasite or other such organism which may be related to the pet trade since they do harbor infestations, or contaminated drinking water. These would be 2 of the things I would automatically consider. Does the diarrhea stools have a foul odor or mucous present? Have you noticed any visible objects etc. in your stools? I would suggest an evaluation for both of you. Any symptoms such as prolonged episodes of diarrhea with abdominal cramps for unknown causes warrants an evaluation.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 ElapheG - Thu May 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Does the diarrhea stools have a foul odor or mucous present? Have you noticed any visible objects etc. in your stools?
Well, I cannot speak for my wife, nor are those questions I would feel comfortable asking her, but as for me, I have noticed mucous, but no strange artifacts other than that. As for a foul odor, that is a bit hard to answer since it never smells particularly good. I apologize if that sounds sarcastic, it was not meant that way, but I really couldn't think of another way to put it.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri May 13, 2005 8:48 am

User avatar Hi ElapheG,
Your reply was not taken as being sarcastic. I will try to explain, certain intestinal disorders or parasitic infestation can produce a "different" abnormal or strange smell to stool, not the usual bad smell if that makes any more sense. What I would suggest you do, contact your physician, explain your symptoms, aside from an evaluation, they will most likely want a stool specimen from the both of you for evaluation to identify the problem.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here