Question: Server Abdominal cramps after eating

ElapheG - Thu May 12, 2005 12:11 am

For the past few months I have been experiencing sever, excruciating, abdominal cramps within minutes of eating. This is followed by server gas, and very watery diarrhea. This is not an on again off again kind of thing. It is extreamly rare that this does not occur, and again, it has been an every day thing for months. It doesn't seem to be going away.

Here is the puzzling thing I just found out from my wife, that she has been experiencing the same symptoms herself for quite some time.

What could this be? We both work in the pet trade, could that mean something?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Thu May 12, 2005 3:15 am

User avatar Hi ElapheG,
Since both of you are experiencing the same symptoms, I would take into consideration an intestinal infection/infestation by a parasite or other such organism which may be related to the pet trade since they do harbor infestations, or contaminated drinking water. These would be 2 of the things I would automatically consider. Does the diarrhea stools have a foul odor or mucous present? Have you noticed any visible objects etc. in your stools? I would suggest an evaluation for both of you. Any symptoms such as prolonged episodes of diarrhea with abdominal cramps for unknown causes warrants an evaluation.
 ElapheG - Thu May 12, 2005 11:25 pm

Does the diarrhea stools have a foul odor or mucous present? Have you noticed any visible objects etc. in your stools?
Well, I cannot speak for my wife, nor are those questions I would feel comfortable asking her, but as for me, I have noticed mucous, but no strange artifacts other than that. As for a foul odor, that is a bit hard to answer since it never smells particularly good. I apologize if that sounds sarcastic, it was not meant that way, but I really couldn't think of another way to put it.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri May 13, 2005 8:48 am

User avatar Hi ElapheG,
Your reply was not taken as being sarcastic. I will try to explain, certain intestinal disorders or parasitic infestation can produce a "different" abnormal or strange smell to stool, not the usual bad smell if that makes any more sense. What I would suggest you do, contact your physician, explain your symptoms, aside from an evaluation, they will most likely want a stool specimen from the both of you for evaluation to identify the problem.

|