News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: 16 year old with severe abdominal pains

markee_rae32 - Thu May 12, 2005 7:22 pm

I am an almost 16 year old who has severe abdominal pains almost every hour of every day. I have experienced this numerous times before but haven't found anything, until I went in to the E.R. for what I thought was appendicitis only to learn I had severe pancreatitis. I was immediatly admitted and they removed my gull bladder within the next few days. After my surgery, my liver enzymes were still very high and I had swollen lymphnodes but the doctors didn't seem to think I needed to stay in the hospital anymore so I was sent home.

Since then(which was since Jan) I have been playing softball- which I pitch like 100 pitches everyday. I still have the same severe pains in my upper and lower stomach all the time. And when I say upper and lower...that means that the middle around my naval doesn't hurt. I have been trying to pin point things that annoy my stomach and make it hurt but since the pain never goes away I can't seem to catch what is irritating it.

My dad asked me this morning if I thought it was internal or external...and I didn't know how to answer the question because when I sit down or stand up and my body hits certain angles I feel horrible pains for seconds. Then other times, it feels like my stomach is going to explode and I feel it in my throat and get chills. I never throw up and I never have fevers.

I have seen 3 different doctors since I had my surgery...(family physician, OB/GYN, and gastroenterologist)-none of which can find anything wrong with me. I haven't had any tests since January and my doctors keep telling me that I don't need xrays or CT's because there isn't anything wrong with me but I feel there is. The reason I am so paranoid about this is because my family physician seems to think it is Lymphoma but hasn't done anything about it and yesterday I found a lump in my right breast and when I got it looked at I was told it was because I was going to begin my menstral cycle for the month but that couldn't be because I just got off it.

I'm just nervous....someone help me please!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 16, 2005 6:11 am

User avatar Hi markee_rae32,
The area in your breast may be related to a form of fibrocystic disease which is relatively common in menstruating women. The areas become somewhat more tender around the menstrual cycle, however, nonetheless an ultrasound would be in order to evaluate this anomaly. As for you stomach pains, has a follow up evaluation labwork etc. been completed to evaluate your pancreas etc.? Any follow up ultrasound etc.? I would strongly suggest that your parents ask your family physician (if he or she is considering lymphoma) that evaluate studies be completed. Have your parents call the office for a follow up and recommendation for diagnostic studies.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here