News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Sever pain in upper midline abdomen

Kazzy - Sun May 15, 2005 2:41 am

Hi,

Last night i was woken by sever pain above my belly button right between my ribs. It wasn't a constant pain would ease off then i'd suddenly get a sharp pain again lasting for a few seconds each time. It would then ease off for a few seconds and start again.

I've had pains like this once before but was more constant than it has been this time. It was sever enough that i couldn't stand up or get out of bed. Today have spent most of the day with a dull achey kind of pain in the same spot but this afternoon for about half hour i had the same sever symptoms as last night. It almost felt like someone had reached their hand inside and was squeezing then letting go again. During the sqeezing feeling it hurt so bad i couldn't take a breath or move but only lasted a few seconds each time.

Is this just really bad indegestion or something more serious?

Kazzy
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sun May 15, 2005 3:21 am

Hi!
Let me know of your age first of all. I recommend taking some antiulcer medications and smooth muscle relaxants and just to be sure, an ECG to exclude any cardiac problem. If the pain persists, dn't forget to go in for a check up because it might be something serious.
Best wishes....
 Kazzy - Sun May 15, 2005 3:57 am

Thank you for your quick reply.

I'm 31yrs old and for additional information......i just finished eating dinner about 20 mins ago and halfway through eating the pains started again and are still continuing they aren't quite as bad this time though and aren't lasting quite as long.

Kazzy
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Sun May 15, 2005 1:48 pm

Hi there! Your symptoms might be due to acid reflux disease also known as GERD. I recommend going to a physician and having a check up. Meanwhile, continue with those antiulcer medications like ranitidine or rabeprazole as I had mentioned earlier. A sucralfate suspension might be of help if the pain is severe.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here