Question: LOWER ABDOMINAL PAIN

Lorrie - Tue May 17, 2005 4:25 pm

MY HUSBAND IS A LONG TERM ALCOHOL USER IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS OR MORE HIS PAINS HAVE INCREASED JUST ABOVE HIS HIP BONE AND GOING ROUND TO HIS BACK .THE PAINS ARE GENERALLY ENCIRCLING THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS BODY. I AM GETTING MORE CONCERNED RECENTLY AS HE SEEMS TO BE CONTINUOUSLY SLEEPING THROUGHOUT THE DAY BUT MORE IN THE TIME OF CAT NAPS SELDOM RESTFUL. HIS MOODS ARE VERY ERRATIC AND VERY VOCAL BUT HIS GENERAL LIFE SKILLS ARE PERFORMED REGARDLESS-CHORES E.G MEALS AND HOUSEWORK AS HE IS UNEMPLOYED AND CONSUMES AT LEAST 3 LITRES OF CIDER A DAY AND SMOKES QUITE HEAVILY I AM MORE WORRIED THAT HE MAY HAVE REACHED A SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEM THAT IS CONNE CTED TO DRINK ABUSE AND MAY NOT BE SOLVABLE BUT HE WILL NOT SEE A DOCTOR AS HE SAYS THAT HE MIGHT NEED SURGERY AND don't DESERVE IT WANT COULD I EXPECT IN THE FUTURE?
[/b][/i]
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue May 17, 2005 7:53 pm

User avatar
Lorrie wrote:MY HUSBAND IS A LONG TERM ALCOHOL USER IN THE PAST SIX MONTHS OR MORE HIS PAINS HAVE INCREASED JUST ABOVE HIS HIP BONE AND GOING ROUND TO HIS BACK .THE PAINS ARE GENERALLY ENCIRCLING THE LEFT SIDE OF HIS BODY. I AM GETTING MORE CONCERNED RECENTLY AS HE SEEMS TO BE CONTINUOUSLY SLEEPING THROUGHOUT THE DAY BUT MORE IN THE TIME OF CAT NAPS SELDOM RESTFUL. HIS MOODS ARE VERY ERRATIC AND VERY VOCAL BUT HIS GENERAL LIFE SKILLS ARE PERFORMED REGARDLESS-CHORES E.G MEALS AND HOUSEWORK AS HE IS UNEMPLOYED AND CONSUMES AT LEAST 3 LITRES OF CIDER A DAY AND SMOKES QUITE HEAVILY I AM MORE WORRIED THAT HE MAY HAVE REACHED A SERIOUS HEALTH PROBLEM THAT IS CONNE CTED TO DRINK ABUSE AND MAY NOT BE SOLVABLE BUT HE WILL NOT SEE A DOCTOR AS HE SAYS THAT HE MIGHT NEED SURGERY AND don't DESERVE IT WANT COULD I EXPECT IN THE FUTURE?
[/b][/i]

Are you sure it's the left side of his body? There are many possibilities with abdominal pain - causes are many, Has he had a physical lately? A basic chemistry panel would include liver, kidneys, electrolytes (which are usually off in drinkers), etc. A thyroid panel would help due to the moods, too.

There are just too many possibilities to even go into over the internet, he must see a doctor. Alcohol abuse is a very deadly disease, both mentally and physically. But only he can decide if he will get help, unfortunately.

|