News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: constant Diarrhea

SSillyAsh - Thu May 19, 2005 11:06 am

I am a 20/f and am having some kinda of gastrointestinal problem. It all started about a week ago when i started having diarrhea, however i didn't think much at the time as this sometimes happenes when i get stressed out and resolves itself. However sunday (3 days later) i became violently ill, vomiting and diarrhea, temperature weakness, the whole 9 yards, and that lasted for a good 16 hours or so. I felt better by monday, but my stomach was still hurting and i still had diarrhea. Well it is now thursday and this is still continueing. I am starting to worry about dehydration as every time i eat or drink i get very nauscious, to the point i think i will vomit, so food and drink intake has been low. I am trying to push the fluids. but the diarrhea continues, i would say on a pretty regular hourly basis. which i can't possibly keep up with. The diarrhea is also very liquidy, there really is no solid at all. I have tried taking immodium but it is doing pretty much nothing, tylenol is helping with the stomach cramping, i don't have a temperature anymore, but i have an awful headache that i cant get to subside. Is is normal for illness to linger like this? When is it time to see a doctor? (i don't have a regular doc, so i would have to go to a clinic)
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 19, 2005 1:12 pm

User avatar Hello,
I think a good time to see your doctor would be right away. Severe continuous diarrhea can lead to dehydration and shock as you have put it. This can be very dangerous and can even have long-term consequences.
 SSillyAsh - Thu May 19, 2005 10:28 pm

thanks for responding

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here