Question: Blood in stool over a period of time.

Athelas - Thu May 19, 2005 1:09 pm

I am a 21 year old male. When I was 9 years old I had a back up of stools in my body and I had to go to the doctor to clean myself out. They told me I almost died. When I was 18 (or 19) I found that I had a small amount of blood in my stools. I went to a doctor right away and he examined me. He said he noticed the problem right away and that the skin around my anus was irrated. He gave me something for it which I used right away. After about two weeks the problem went away but after a month it came back.
Now every so often when I get constipated I find blood in my stools again. It appears as a single long streak on one side. Sometimes there's a small amount and sometimes theirs a large amount. It will go away for a couple weeks then reappear for about a day to a week then go away again.
Recently it's gone away again but I've been having the runs for the past week and today I noticed some blood mixed in there. Is this something very serious like cancer or is it just something I'm not doing right to clear up the problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I should also note that I don't feel any pain when it happens but at times I feel discomfort afterwards, but not enough to make me notice unless I concentrate.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu May 19, 2005 1:20 pm

User avatar Blood intermixed with stools should be properly assessed. Have you informed your doctor that this is a continuing complaint. You should. The source of bleeding can be anywhere from the colon to the anus. An assessment may include colonoscopy to exclude diseases such as inflammatory bowel disease, diverticular disease, infective colitis or angiodysplasia. Cancers are not common at your age.
 Athelas - Thu May 19, 2005 1:42 pm

Thank you for the reply. I'll pay a visit to my doctor tomorrow and inform him of my problem. I'm hoping I don't have to get any serious exams like colonescopy done though :oops:

|