Question: Intermittant issue when eating

mi5tery - Sun May 22, 2005 1:14 pm

I'm not sure if this is the correct place to post this message so please forgive me if I had to post elsewhere instead.

I have a problem which occurs on occassions when I eat. When it does happen, it happens about two times per week. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas about what could be the matter.

Basically when eating solids, when I try to swallow, it feels as though the food has gotten stuck in my throat. When I get this "stuck food" sensation in my throat I have to quickly drink liquid to help get the food down. When this happens it is uncomfortable but not as bad as when I don't manage to drink liquid in time.

If I do not manage to drink liquid quickly, then I get a pain which travels all the way through my head. It is a painful experience. My sight feels as though it has been "blackened" - I'm not sure if that makes sense, but basically I can see, but the pain prevents me from understanding what I'm seeing. Similarly I can hear what people are saying, and I don't respond because I am thinking about the pain. If I am standing I need to hold onto something as otherwise I am sure I would fall down (once I was in the open, I sat down on the floor because I knew I would fall otherwise). The worst instance sees my hands shaking and me losing grip of anything I am holding. The whole "event" lasts about 15-35 seconds. That is an estimation, I've never been able to time myself. When I am experiencing this pain, I am basically incapacitated, I am just trying to get through it - hence I never eat and drive! After it's all over, everything is fine!

I know I should seek medical advise, but my relationship with my doctor is not existent, and I will make sure I go just as soon as my students get their exams over and done with.

I don't know when this all started, but I know I didn't have it at a young age. I am 24 years old.

Thank you for your time,

-mi5tery-
 Dr. S. Adhikari - Mon May 23, 2005 2:30 pm

You are suffering from a condition called dysphagia and you need a complete medical evaluation IMMEDIATELY to find out the cause for the same. Don't waste time!
 mi5tery - Tue May 24, 2005 4:12 am

Thank you Dr Adhikari,

I visited my Doctor and she prescribed me Zantac (Ranitidine HCl 150mg). Which I'm not sure is going to solve the problem, but I'm going to see how it does. One tablet two times a day for four weeks. After that if there is no improvement I will be sent to the ENT (Ear, Nose and Throat) clinic for further examination.

I personally would prefer examination immediately, but I'm guessing everyone feels that way, so I'll see how the four weeks go - and hopefully the problem will disappear.

Thank you again for your time,

-mi5tery-

|