News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Chronic Diarrhea

Betty - Mon May 23, 2005 8:50 am

I am a 62 year old woman that has had chronic diarrhea for 4 weeks. I have had it before and none of tests I had showed anything. Now I have it again and am going to have the tests again (including a colonoscopy). I am really tired and everything and anything I east goes right through me. Does anyone have any idea as to what I should ask the Doctors to look for. This really getting me down.

If anyone has any suggestions, I would be pleased to hear about them.

Thanks!
BRDogLovers@aol.com
:cry:
 Theresa Jones, RN - Mon May 23, 2005 9:34 am

User avatar Hi Betty,
Any changes in bowel habits should be promptly investigated by a physician so it is quite wise for you to have evaluative studies. Causes of chronic diarrhea can be caused for numerous reasons, parasitic infections, medications, inflammatory bowel diseases, malignancy, diabetes, thyroid dysfunction, etc. etc. The particular cause of diarrhea especially if the origin is unknown is done by exclusion of other diseases or conditions.
Sincerely,
Rntdj
 armywife - Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:51 pm

hi! i am a 24 year old female that weighed 130 in february 2005 and now i weigh 103. i am 5'4 so i am very underweight. i have had diarhea every day for the last 3 years. i have chronic lower back pain and chronic pain in the calves of my legs. i eat all the time and i eat healthy too. i have had my bm tested and there was no bacteria in it. what is wrong with me. thanks so much. armywife
 kamibri - Wed Sep 28, 2005 10:12 am

I had chronic D when i was pregnant with my son...never had it before. At 24 weeks it just started out of the blue. It was watery and bloody and nothing would stay in me..nothing..not even water. Of coarse they couldn't do the colonoscopy when I was pregnant so i thought that maybe after I has the baby everything would just go away..no such luck. I still to this day have a difficult time keeping food in me unless I take Imodium but it is no longer bloody (i later found out that the blood came from hemmoriods from going to the bathroom so much.). I had a colonoscopy about a month ago..and they concluded that I just have IBS. But I (over the last 3 years)have learned how to manage it..I have a system..
I take 1 Imodium every 5 days
I always have a heating pad because IBS is nothing more than a spastic colon..sometimes I will feel it coming on , put the heating pad on my stomach and it will go away before the D hits me.
I was once a healthy weight too. When I got pregnant with my son I was 5'2'' and weighed 126lbs. Now I am 102. It really sucks but with my little system I manage it pretty well.
 armywife - Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:50 pm

thanks so much. right now the doctor's are testing me for the diarhea. hopefully it will just be ibs and not anything worse. i am going to try your system too and see if it works for me. :D

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here