News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: docs think IBS, i think Crohn's disease

amytraberman - Tue May 24, 2005 2:41 pm

hi i am a 19 year old college student who has gone through a lot of stress this past year, with my mother passing away suddenly. She had crohn's disease w hen she was 19. a few months after the death, i experienced extreme abdominal pain to the right of my belly button and it sometimes would be sharp, and then go away quickly, but come back 3 or 5 minutes later. i would just put up with it, until it started to wake me up in the middle of the night. i have extreme diareah, 10 or more times a day, a feeling that i need to go and then nothing comes out, sometimes blood in my stool, and extreme leg pain in my right leg only. it used to hurt extremely bad and i would take hot baths, etc to try to amke the pain go away and it would work for a little. now, it doesnt hurt until i stand on it, and now i walk with a limp. i also have loss of appetite, low grade fevers, and the other day i threw up but it was more mucousy i guess then throw up. i'm extremely tired all the time, and it has affected my social life, work, school, etc. anyway, i got blood work done yesterday and am getting a cat scan and stool samples done soon. i am in pain all of the time and i hate it! what could this be! it cant just be IBS because ive tried taking medictions for that but they don't work. please someone help :( i worry that it might be something serious liek cancer even though no one in my faimly has ever had cancer.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 02, 2005 2:12 pm

User avatar Don't jump on the cancer train yet!!!

It sounds possible you may have Crohn's- but it is very similar to ulcerative colitis. I agree, IBS is milder and doesn't cause vomiting or fever.

The leg pain doesn't go with it; that may be something else. The bloodwork you got should include a basic chem panel, CBC, and ESR for starters. A Shilling test to rule out pernicious anemia would be a good idea, also, and the stool samples you are getting done.

There are myriads of imaging tests to do - CT is good. Since there is no one"test" for Crohn's we have to go on symptoms and tests; there is also theory that it does run in families.
 amytraberman - Wed Jun 08, 2005 2:57 pm

Hello i don't know if anyone is still going to read it, but i thank the person who responded earlier to my post. i just got back from an almost 2 week stay at the hospital, and what they found was an abscess in my psoas muscle in my colon which what was giving me difficulty walking on that leg, they drained it and it seems to be all better for now. i was diagnosed with crohn's disease, and was given a small bowel series test, ct scans, xrays, etc. and now i am home with oral antiobiotics to take. howeever, being in a hospital bed for 2 weeks has done a number on me, and i am very weak and slowly regaining strength. i had never been in a hospital before to stay (besdies when i was born) so this 2 week stay was very interesting. anyone else who has crohn's and is young like me (19) i would love to talk to , to get some input or just talk to.
-Amy

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here