Question: ENLARGED SPLEEN

dmcoffey - Fri Jun 03, 2005 1:38 pm

Hello, I am new to the site. I have recently had 2 ct scans, and 1 sonogram. During the sonogram my spleen showed enlarged. So my doctor ordered a ct scan. When we got the results, it said that it measured 12to 13. Boaderline they called it. Well now they have sent me to a blood specialist, and he repeated the ct scan today. Anyway to make a long story short, I am scaried to death, because I know what can cause this. All of my blood work has come back perfect. Does anyone know what might be causing this, or is this considered normal. I am 33, non smoker, non drinker, hyster. 3 years ago, blood clot after surgery, now on coumadin therapy. Thanks for any advice anyone can give. I do not go back until next week, but I am driving myself crazy, thinking about this.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 2:28 pm

User avatar Dear dmcoffey,
A normal spleen by US study is about 13 cm.
To better define your spleen size, US and CT scan should be seen properly. Your doctor said It is a border line one, so it is better to determine if there is any underlying problem especially that he knows more about your medical history.

Your blood investigations are all normal, especially the blood count and the blood film I assume they show no abnormal forms, that is very good. You can be more calm and feel comfortable.

If Malignancy like Lymphoma is suspected there would have been other findings that point to this diagnosis.

At any case you did not mention any complaints or symptoms, So I do not understand why you have done these images from the start.

What I would like also to know, is why hysterectomy was done?, and DVT, was that a complication of this operation? It is of importance to investigate the cause of DVT. If you have clotting problems so, deep venous thrombosis can happen also in other deep veins like the mesenteric, portal, which can cause mild splenomegaly, but hepatomegaly as well.

If you did not mention any other symptoms or finding or any associated conditions , please inform us, as this will be of great help

|