News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: white string like bowel movements, very odd! HELP

uhhmike - Sat Jun 04, 2005 10:24 pm

hi im a 20 year old male, 210 lbs and 5"7. my diet is bad, too much junkfood.
anyway, i've been having VERY odd bowel movements lately. they have been fully white. some have been sort of rectangular shaped and thin looking, and last night it looked like white thread. it wasn't extremely large, and they only happen occasiaonlly, not on every bowel movement. i always have a regular brown BM during the day, and i can't recall how often the white ones happen, but they are fairly regular. there is no pain or anything and i can't tell the difference until after i look at the bowl. last night, with the thread like white one, there was a few tiny specks of blood here and there.

also when i wipe it is of course only white and not very - well, thick. its just damp and well, not alot comes off on the toilet paper.

what could this possibly be? any suggestions AT ALL would be greatly appreciated. is there any way this can be found out more about without the use of a colonoscopy/camera/etc.

thanks alot for any help.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:00 am

User avatar It could be mucous, from Irritable Bowl Syndrome, although you didn't complain of constipation and/or diarrhea. If you are having either of those symptoms, see a GI for his opinion, just to be safe. If it is IBS, it is harmless, although bothersome.
 uhhmike - Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:42 am

i did have diarrhea and possibly some constipation, i cant remember.

however, the other day - something odd happened. at school, i moved my bowels 3 times within a short time (1 hr or so, not exactly i cant remember) at all 3 times it was the odd white stuff in rectangular form.

and, after that, a night or two later, it was BROWN! the same shape - small rectangular stuff, only this time brown. i don't think its happened since then.

thanks for the info. im going to a doctor when i can. what causes IBS?

thanks a ton
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:06 pm

User avatar You're welcome :D

No one knows what causes IBS; stress/anxiety seem to trigger it, though. It can be chronic constipation or diarrhea, or both alternately.

Foods to avoid: alcohol, caffeine, sodas, chocolate, milk (very important) and fatty foods.

Make sure to get more fiber into the diet to regulate the bowel, like Citrucel or Metamucil. (Citrucel is recommended, because it doesn't cause excess gas). Obviously, eat more vegetables and whole grains as well.
 ufmonkee - Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:26 am

have you ever been tested for worms??? i am not trying to be gross. but i am a student in vet school and it sounds like it could be a parasite. i would suggest having a stool sample looked at.

nicole

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here