News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: celiac disease/gliadin test?

PJustice01 - Wed Jun 08, 2005 6:15 pm

My 10 yr old daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac disease, so the doctor recommended that I be tested, so I had biopsy done by endoscopy, as well as blood test, but i'm very confused. The doctors office had never dealt with this type of blood test before so they didn't know how to handle the results and all they told me was that all of the tests were negative except the gliadin, which was a weak positive, and I have no idea what that means. The gastroenterologist told me nothing about the biopsy really, just said in a message on voicemail that nothing is wrong and to call if I need to be seen in the future. So I guess my questions would be what the deal is about the gliadin test being a weak positive, what that could possibly mean? and any advice on how to go about dealing with my daughters condition, because it has turned our lives upside down.

Thank you for your time,
 Kirsty_Oz - Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:06 am

several family members of mine have coeliac disease- and essentially it requires your daughter (and for moral support often the family) to maintain a gluten free diet.

gluten is found in wheat products, oats, some preservatives (1440-1450, you must find out the derivative whether wheat or maize before consumption) etc

it is certainly an adjustment i can tell you! however, unless your daughter has any other dietry or food requirements it should be relatively simple- though it does require reading packets!! for example; corn flakes- here in australia, a no name brand one is ok, but kellogs is not because it is coated with a wheat product. custards- some have the preservative 1442; some come from maize, some from wheat: you often have to call the manufacturer to find out.

do a web search for gluten free recipes there are heaps out there! it is a hard time adjusting, but once you do the research, speak to a dietition it will become second nature- i promise. if you need to chat further please pm me :)

also it is not uncommon for immediate family members to be tested :)

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here