Question: daily stomach ache problems

keith1983 - Sat Jun 11, 2005 1:17 pm

Hi, I am worried about the stomach problems I have been suffering from for the past 5 weeks, the reason I have left it so long is that the pain has been bearable and I have suffered from acid reflux since I was 12 however these pains are very different from my controllable acid reflux and I am concerned that these pains aren't getting any better and may be getting worse.

When I wake in the mornings I tend to feel a little sick and thirsty however these symptoms go away after a bowl of cereal and a drink (this however has been pretty normal for the past 4 years). I then feel fine until I have lunch it is at this point my problems start :( I normally have lunch around 1pm (normally something light and low fat) and stomach pains will begin shortly after I have finished and will continue to hurt until 6:30pm. This unfortunately means that I have to endure even more pain after dinner.

The pains seems to move around, it often begins in the centre of the stomach and tends to move around to both sides of my rib cage, the pain may then sometimes move to my abdomen, the area below my navel.

Very little seems to help relieve the pain and the medicine I use for my acid reflux doesn't work at all! I have discovered that milk is probably the only thing that helps however I have to drink a few glasses and can take 30mins or so before the pain disappears, often I have no access to milk during the day and instead I have to put up with the pain which makes me very irritable towards others.

My bowl movement seems to be normal, and I have very little problems with gas, however after reading a few posts on the forum I noticed someone ask about mucus in their stools and so I thought I better check my own and after doing so I realised that I seem to have what looks like a mucus like substance which is transparent but has a yellow/orange coloured core very similar to something you might cough up if you were ill. There seems to be clumps of this attached around the sides of my stools.

Due to my acid reflux I very rarely drink alcohol and I haven't drunk anything other then water and milk since this pain began. My diet is low fat, low spice, high fibre and I ensure that I have at least 5 fruit and veg a day. Suffering from acid reflux from such a young age is probably the reason why I have been able to endure this pain for so long without telling anyone.

I would like to know if this pain will go away by itself someday or if I need to go to a doctor?

Thanks in advance Keith
Sorry about the length :?
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:01 am

User avatar I really doubt your pain will just go away. It's concerning that you wake up every morning with nausea and thirst.

You need to see a doctor immediately to rule out an ulcer due to your uncontrollable reflux. The possible ulcer could develop into a bleeding ulcer, which can be fatal.
 keith1983 - Sun Jun 12, 2005 10:45 am

Thx for your advice :D I will book an appointment to see the doctor this week.

I checked my stool this morning and I didn't see anything wrong this time so maybe that was a one off, I will keep checking each day to make sure.

I have been getting nausea when I wake every morning for many years now, it’s only very slight and goes away once I have eaten something. It can also come on during the day if I haven't eaten for a while it's something I am used to now. My acid reflux is a lot more manageable then it used to be when I used suffer from food getting stuck just before entering the stomach which I believe is what caused by the acid inflaming that area.

I am hoping what I am suffering from is just tenderness but what confuses me is why milk seems to help when everything else seems to hurt me even bread will start my stomach pain off again yet a bowl of cereal doesn't. I am going to try drinking milk before each meal which I hope might lessen the pain a little.

Again thank you for your quick response it means a lot to have someone to speak to about this.
Keith

|