Question: Rectal Bleeding & Out of Country!

hunter_s - Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:02 pm

I am a 20 year old asthmatic male in good health. I have been travelling abroad extensively as of late - Central Mexico, and now in Uruguay. For the last several weeks there has been a very small, occasional, miniscule trace of blood wiped on the toilet paper after BM - intermittent enough that I just assumed a small rectal tear due to large BM. Over the last several days I have been in a very meat-heavy, bread-heavy diet. I have had no bleeding or trace, but have had very large BM (very easy, no problems) about once a day. Today I needed to BM when facilities were unavaliable, and restrained myself. When I did BM about an hour later, upon wiping the toilet paper had a large amount of blood soaked into it. A later attempt to BM yielded same result. Usually I do not have blood when I BM, and the BM itself is normal looking, no blood in stool or dripping into water. This has not occured before, and I have no problem with leakage. I feel fine, and have not been sexually active in two months (no anal sexual contact ever). Blood is not evident on my underwear, and I feel no different than normal.
I am in an environment where a doctor's visit would be difficult - my soonest avalibility would be in two months when I get back to the States. I am hoping for some information on what this might be - I suspect perhaps internal hemorrhoids (I've been told they don't necessarily cause discomfort and can go unnoticed). I am also asking for some stopgap suggestions until I can get a personal visit with a physician - diet changes, over-the-counter creams, herbal treatments, that sort of thing. Thank you for your attention and your advice.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Tue Jun 14, 2005 3:57 am

User avatar Hi hunter_s,
If the bleeding is associated with hemorrhoids or a small rectal tear from large hard bowel movements then an increase in fiber and water intake should soften the stool to such a degree that it should not cause any additional trauma or increase inflammation of hemorrhoids. You should have an evaluation by your physician when you are able to do so.
 hunter_s - Tue Jun 14, 2005 8:01 pm

An update (sorry if I'm being overattentive on this, but distance from medical care has me worried):
Today I felt fine, and had small BM (I didn't eat much today) with a bit of strain and NO blood trace. This, if anything, has me confused. The blood yesterday was profuse; now it is back to "normal." What is going on here?
I will be upping my fiber intake and reducing the amount of meat I eat (as possible - here meat is more than a staple). Is there anything else I can do without medical care? Also, if this returns or worsens: how do I reduce the risk of anemia? I have read a lot about that being a problem, and while I am not dripping blood (only blood evidence was on toilet paper) I am hoping to prevent as much as possible.
Thank you for your help so far, I really appreciate you taking time out to help me.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 15, 2005 1:25 pm

User avatar Hi hunter_s,
I would be much more concerned about anemia if there were grossly profuse amounts of blood. With a small amount on toilet paper, at this point it would be unlikely. When rectal tears or hemorrhoids become irritated they are more likely to bleed during that time. During episodes of less irritation, generally speaking, little or no bleeding is noted. Try the increased fiber diet and water intake and see if this decreases or eliminates the episodes. I still would encourage you (even if the bleeding completely subsides) to have an evaluation by your physician when you are able to do so.
 hunter_s - Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:07 pm

Thanks. I'll set up an appointment when I get back. Thank you so much again for your help and advice.

*hug*

I feel much better - for a brief hour or so I was panicked, and posting here and getting intelligent, informed response has made it so much better.
 Theresa Jones, RN - Wed Jun 15, 2005 9:12 pm

User avatar Hi hunter_s,
Good to hear :) and thank you for using http://www.doctorslounge.com
I sincerely wish you well. Take care.

|