Question: IBS??????? Can anyone please help???

Coop - Wed Jun 15, 2005 3:56 pm

I am a 38 year old male and I have (what I believe to be) IBS symptoms but I am still unsure and scared. I also have anxiety and have been diagnosed with OCD, therefore I go to the doctor a LOT for things which turn out to be nothing and I really hate to do that again so I thought maybe someone could help me out.

OK:

I have abdominal pain in my lower left side along the belt line and some in my lower back. It ranges anywhere from a mild aggravation to somewhat severe pain in my abdomen. I haven't noticed any blood in my stools before, but I have noticed quite a bit of 'red' in my stool the last 2 days (none on the toilet paper) but I also had watermelon the last 2 nights. This doesn't happen all of the time but does frequently and lasts for several days to a week each time it does. During this period it seems that my bowels move more frequently (although not diarrhea). Defecation does relieve the pain momentarily but it will shortly flare up again. During this I pretty much feel the urge to defecate all of the time whether I go or not. During extreme flare ups I also feel quite sick to my stomach, although I haven't vomited.

Less than a year ago I had a CT Scan of my colon (where I had the dye put in my veins) with a barium enema and they said everything looked normal.

I have had bouts with severe constipation for about 3 years now and have been drinking Metamucil every day since then. My bowels will NOT move if I miss the Metamucil.

About 1 week ago I bought some "Oxy Powder" ( a colon cleanser) on line and did a 7 day colon cleanse. I have noticed since that time that I do not have to take as much Metamucil in order for my bowels to move. I drink 1- 8 oz cup of water with 1 tablespoon of Metamucil every night now as compared to 2 or 3 before. I was feeling better after the co,lon cleanse until this episode.

I stopped the colon cleans 4 days before this started up this time.

I always have a mild abdominal discomfort in the same place that I am having the more sever pain now, but it is usually really mild and hardly noticeable, and my stools aren't nearly as frequent as they are now with this flare up.

We did go to the lake the day before this flare up and played on a ski boat and I drank quite a few beers, (but I usually drink 3 or 4 beers nightly anyway)

Does this sound to you like it could be IBS or should I be concerned of something more serious? Please help me if you can.

Please would somebody that has had similar symptoms reply. Either here or to my email address cardinalsfan_1966@hotmail.com

I thank you so much in advance.

COOP
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:49 pm

User avatar Do you have pain in your rectum when you defecate? Even if not, you could possibly have an internal hemorrhoid that bleeds slightly.

Part of the therapy of IBS is often anxiety control as this brings on more symptoms. Are you being treated for this?

Lower left quadrant pain is common for constipation problems, and bowel problems in general. Have you seen the doctor about your IBS since last year?

All the symptoms you describe are normal for IBS, the nature of it is that it changes frequently.

If you are really worried, you should see your doctor.
 Coop - Wed Jun 15, 2005 5:15 pm

No rectum pain when I defecate, I do however notice a slight "burning" sensation shortly after I defecate that will last a little while but not long.
No I am not being treated for this yet. Would something serious have shown up during the CT scan?
Like I said I really havent noticed any blood, but the last 2 days I have noticed red that is attached to my stool but I had watermelon the last 2 nights and I assumed the red was from that.
The pain comes and goes througout the day and is sometimes more severe and sometimes will also be on the right side in about the same spot (although rarely and not nearly as severe). Like right now it feels like I have "knot" in my lower left abdomen. I know I should see my doctor but I have so much lately (for other things) and it turns out to be nothing that I hate to go up there again if the chances are that this is not serious. Plus I have no insurance and am all self pay.

Do you think I should be alarmed?

Also how long does an IBS flare up last. (If thats what this is)
 tommygina - Sat Sep 24, 2005 8:37 pm

I have had some of the same symptoms. I was told NOT to use metamucil, you might want to change to a fiber caplet. Alcohol, caffeine, chocolate all add to the problem.
If the red persists it might be an internal hemorroid especially if you are not eating timatoes or the likes. Eat small meals as large meals make it worst as do meals heavy in fat content. if it persists a Dr could prescribe medication.

|