Question: Extremely SHARP pain below sternum along with other symptoms

maryc - Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Over the last few days, i have been fatigued and "blah." My stomach has increased in size by a lot (size 3 to size 6) in 2 days. I am not constipated. Today, i started having an extremely sharp pain directley below my sternum and about a 3 finger widths span (downward). It hurts standing, sitting, laying..anything. Cant seem to find a position that is comfortable at all. Caused me to fall to the floor a few times it was so sharp. Any ideas?
 Kim C, RN - Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Off the top of my head, the first thing that comes to mind is that these symptoms could be representative of gallbladder issues or gastritis. Being a nurse, I can't diagnose, but with the sudden increase in abdominal size and the extremely sharp pain, it sounds to me like you need to see your physician ASAP so you can get some diagnostic studies done.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.
 maryc - Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. This is what i was fearing as well. Being a transcriptionist, i type this stuff all the type and I figured my symptoms seemed quite similar to that. Of course, there are always other things that can create diff symptoms. Again, I thank you and I will call my docs answering service and see what they think.

|