News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Extremely SHARP pain below sternum along with other symptoms

maryc - Fri Jun 17, 2005 6:29 pm

Over the last few days, i have been fatigued and "blah." My stomach has increased in size by a lot (size 3 to size 6) in 2 days. I am not constipated. Today, i started having an extremely sharp pain directley below my sternum and about a 3 finger widths span (downward). It hurts standing, sitting, laying..anything. Cant seem to find a position that is comfortable at all. Caused me to fall to the floor a few times it was so sharp. Any ideas?
 Kim C, RN - Fri Jun 17, 2005 7:57 pm

Off the top of my head, the first thing that comes to mind is that these symptoms could be representative of gallbladder issues or gastritis. Being a nurse, I can't diagnose, but with the sudden increase in abdominal size and the extremely sharp pain, it sounds to me like you need to see your physician ASAP so you can get some diagnostic studies done.

Good luck and I hope you're feeling better soon.
 maryc - Fri Jun 17, 2005 8:40 pm

Thanks so much for your reply. This is what i was fearing as well. Being a transcriptionist, i type this stuff all the type and I figured my symptoms seemed quite similar to that. Of course, there are always other things that can create diff symptoms. Again, I thank you and I will call my docs answering service and see what they think.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here