News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: MY SON FEELS SICK WHEN HE EATS

STILO - Wed Jun 22, 2005 7:27 am

Not every time he eats does he feel sick, for instance we will sit down for our evening meal he will eat one mouthfull and may have to wait until the sick feeling goes before he can eat another mouthfull, he is a healthy 16 year old, very fit. Please help.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 22, 2005 6:12 pm

User avatar Ongoing nausea is definitely not normal, and can have many causes. Has he lost any weight? He should really be seen about this.
 STILO - Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:41 am

NO HE HAS NOT LOST ANY WEIGHT, ALTHOUGH HE GETS NAUSEOUS HE ISN'T SICK. WE HAVE SEEN OUR LOCAL GP WHO DONE A BLOOD TEST AND STOOLS SAMPLE, THE RESULTS CAME BACK CLEAR, THE DOCTOR HAS LEFT IT AT THAT SAYING ITS NOTHING SERIOUS. I KNOW I NEED TO TAKE THIS FURTHER HOWEVER I AM NOT SURE OF MY NEXT STEP.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:23 am

User avatar Since physical factors have been ruled out, it does sound very much like anorexia. Before you think of intentional eating disorders, let me explain. Anorexia is the lack of appetite (meaning not looking forward to or having cravings for food and/or difficulty eating). This occurs frequently with any type of emotional turbulence, and at 16, that is very common, but not everyone with these problems develop anorexia. Every person is different in the physical symptoms they suffer, and there are usually always physical symptoms. Anxiety is very high at that age, as is depression. Many times both occur at the same time. Watch very closely, as many teens hide it well, and talk to him. If you notice any change in his behaviour from before this started, get him professional help, it's very crucial to his health.
 STILO - Thu Jun 23, 2005 8:53 am

Hi Shannon,
He has been under quite a bit of pressure just lately, exams just finished yesterday, plus girlfreind changes, you know how it is. I will let you know the outcome.

many thanks for your advice,

Ken.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here