Question: Stomach issues

longman50 - Wed Jun 22, 2005 10:35 am

My wife has stomach pains and has had them for some time. Although the pain is not constant it comes in and out. She does not have a constant bowel movement maybe one every 5 days if that, and when it occurs it is painful and irregular. She has not seen a doctor for this but we are trying to make a appoinment as we speak. The pain is usually on the right side of her stomach area and sometimes it is a very sharp pain. She is only 22 and we are pretty sure she is not pregnant since this issue occurs often. I am just trying to gather some info for her on what may be wrong. Please let me know ifyou have any suggestions thank you.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:19 pm

User avatar There are many, many things that can cause abdominal pain. That area (right upper portion if it's next to the stomach) can involve the liver, pancreas, gallbladder and ascending colon. She is very young to be experiencing the first three, tho.

It may or may not be related to the chronic constipation, but she definitely needs to be seen for that, too. Has she tried any fiber supplements? Does she get plenty of fiber in her diet? (Whole grain cereals and bread, vegetables, fruit, etc). The constipation can even be from stress or depression, there are many causes for that, too.
 longman50 - Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:40 pm

Thank you for responding, she does eat fiber in her diet but maybe not enough. As far as stress or depression she has not expressed to me that she is and I can usually tell when she is stressed or depressed so I would say that, that is not the cause. The constipation is real bad though and sometimes unbearable for her, I mean it gets to the point when at night while in bed it is hard for her to get to sleep. When she woke up this morning she said she had pressure in her lower abdomen. What kind of doctor do you see about stomach/bowel problems??
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 22, 2005 1:00 pm

User avatar A gastroenterologist is the specialist for intestinal problems. If you see your primary care physician, he or she may want to refer you to one.

Constipation also traps gas in the intestines and can cause very severe pain. Of course, I am only speculating, there can be many causes. It could possibly be a motility problem, that is the colon doesn't move waste along effectively.

I do hope she feels much better soon.

|