News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: 21 year old male - blood in stool

edwardk9 - Thu Jun 23, 2005 3:14 pm

Hello everyone.

I am a 21 year old male in relatively good health. I do smoke.

My family has a history with heartburn/stomach problems but no cancers. About 6 months ago I noticed that I had a hemorrhoid (I assume from constipation).

Everything was fine up until about 3 months ago. I noticed whenever I had to strain to use the bathroom bright red blood would be on the stool and the toilet paper. It isn't enough to turn the water pink but enough that I can see.

It does go away after a few days but seems to resurface occasionally.

Is this something that I should be concerned about? Should I make an appointment with a doctor? I have no insurance that is why I have been reluctant to do so.

Also, sometimes after a bowl movement my anus will burn for about 10 minutes and then subside.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
 Derek H, RN - Thu Jun 23, 2005 4:41 pm

Hello,

from the symptomsyou stat o you get any itching after a bowel movement?

It does sound like you have haemorroids (piles) sometimes they are not always visible or you cant feel them as they can be internal as well as external. you have to wash thoroughly with non perfumed soaps after each bowel movement and apply one of the many creams or ointments that are widely available.

there are surgical treatments but are normally only offerred if the condition is so severe that it causes lifestyle issues.. Try some remedies from your local pharmacy first and don't be embarrassed buying them, there are many people out there who have the same problem.

Good luck and best wishes.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here