Question: Rectal Bleeding

BobInRaleigh - Fri Jun 24, 2005 2:22 pm

I am a male 53 years old in good health and slightly over normal weight.

In the last week I have been experiencing rectal bleeding. It doe not bleeding that affects the color of the water but is seen on tissue when wiping and appears to be more often coating the stool rather then laced in the stool itself. There have been time that there appears to have been a mucous looking disscharge in some of those bowel movements. I have no fever, no symtpoms and otherwise feel normal. I have regular bowel movements that are not strained. The rectal bleeding appears to be more often indicated in the morning with the first bowel movement. Subsequent bowel movements may not contain blood at all or minimal. The stoll itself has not changed in color or texture since the symptoms starting occurring.

I am planning on having a colonoscopy (sp?) in the near future. My last physical was 6 months ago and I provided a stool sample as part of the physical and did not receive a negative result or any indications that my doctor voiced to me.

I am concerned. Any advice or ideas on what this may be?
 Theresa Jones, RN - Sat Jun 25, 2005 4:04 am

User avatar Hi BobInRaleigh,
Conditons such as hemorrhoids, small rectal tears, etc. may sometimes cause small amounts of bleeding generally noted on toilet paper after having a bowel movement. Have you experienced any irritation, itching, burning of the rectum? During your evaluation was a rectal exam included? I would consider the above mentioned conditons first, however, it is quite wise that you are scheduled for a colonoscopy as this diagnostic study needs completed. If bleeding was not a complaint when you had your evaluation I would suggest that you inform your physician of this particular change.
 BobInRaleigh - Mon Jun 27, 2005 7:41 am

Actuall, yes there was an slight itching around the anus a week before the bleeding started. This weekend I had 4 bowel movements with no trace of blood. This morning however, there was very slight evidence of blood in the stool but when I wiped there was blood for the first time since the weekend.

During the last physicial I had a rectal exam which included checking my prostate.

|