Question: Abdominal Pain / Blood in stool

alcat - Fri Jun 24, 2005 5:25 pm

I am a 28yr old male with no family history of any gastrointestinal problems. Aproximately 2 months ago I started to have abdominal discomfort (typically right around the naval) and indigestion. The indigestion subsided after about two weeks however the abdominal pain has worsened to the point where it is causing me a great deal of discomfort. My bowel movements are no longer regular as I am usally passing very smalling amounts of stool once a day followed by occasional episodes of diahrea. I am noticing that there are often black spots mixed into the stool that I pass. I have been to a doctor on three occasions since this started. The doctor ordered a stool culture, cbc, and fecal occult blood test. The stool culture and cbc were normal. The fecal occult blood test however was not normal. The doctor advised me that 1 of the 3 slides was positive for blood. The doctor has told me that the cause of the blood is most likely something minor. He has referred me to a gastroenterologist however unfortunately due to the backed up Canadian helath care system, it will be six months before I can proceed. I realize that it is impossible to diagnose over the internet but does anyone have any ideas regarding this? I keep thinking of the worst. Are there any benign conditions which could cause these symptoms?

Thanks in advance for any replies.
 medicalman - Fri Jun 24, 2005 10:29 pm

Let me start by saying that blood in stool in a young (<35-40) yr old person is usually something benign. I stress on the word usually as 1% chance does mean 1 in 100. To get to your answer... most likely it is someting benign like colitis - inflammation of the colon (part of the large intestine). It could be one of the inflammatory bowel diseases i.e. ulcerative colitis or crohn's disease... both being conditions where the intestines are inflammed = swollen and cause flatulance, pain, blood in stool... I am not going to talk about treatments yet aswe donot know what we are dealing with here! To think about cancer at your age is again a possibility but the likelihood of this happening is low.. quite low.. more likely could be a mixture of the things i mentioned above like inflammatory polyps etc... i donot think waiting for 6 months is unreasonable. however you should ask your doctor to help you with the symptomatic treatment.. like high fibers when you are having constipation and the like. also he/she should be helping you with pain control.
hope this helps!
 alcat - Sat Jun 25, 2005 9:25 pm

Thanks very much for the reply. It is a relief to hear that the odds are in my favor. The prospect of waiting 6 months for the next step is somewhat worrisome for me. I will try and get my doctor to give me something for the pain. Thanks again.
 rcsass - Sun Jul 24, 2005 11:31 am

Iam 40 years old, I have alot a pain on my front left side., also very nausea and always tired. I have some bleeding in my stool but has stopped about 3 weeks ago. I have had this bleeding and pain for about 6 months or more. This pain is not cramps.... I have no Glabladder and had a histrectomy in 2004,. I had a colon scope done in 2003. II do have Interstitial Cystitis. Iam very concern because my mother died of Cancer in 1998 at the age of 52, My father died of heart disease in 1995 at the age of 55, and my bother had colon cancer in 1982 at the age of 14. He is still living. Can you please help??? :cry:
 milenko666 - Thu Dec 24, 2009 11:52 am

iam 22 atm and i have had abdominal pain for about 9 years.. and i just starting seeing blood in my poop.. and the blood stops after i get the peace out thats caked in blood.. sometimes when i eat 15mins later i get abdominal pain and i use the bathroom about 3-4 times in 1 hour befor the pain gos away.. its bean like this all most my hole life and i never get it looked at.. iam not sure what to do.. let me know what u think.. thanks...

|