News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Which is more common

installdude - Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:43 pm

Which is more common in people under age 40:
1) colon cancer
2) Ulcerative Colitis
3) Diverticular disease (Diverticulitis)

Pain in lower left abdominal area that has been going on for a long while. The pain seems to be more intense while sitting with the least amoun of pain being while layin flat on back. Also frequently accompanied by nausea.

Someone please answer to the best of your ability.

Should I be overly concerned about colon cancer?
 medicalman - Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:35 pm

If I were your doctor I would start with colitis the move on to diverticulosis/diverticulitis and finally think about colon cancer.
Do you have a family history of cancer? esp colon cancer or polyps? have you had rectal bleeding ever? have you been losing weight?

It is always difficult to answer open-ended questions with minimal information but I try to do my best.
Hope this helps
 installdude - Sun Jun 26, 2005 9:52 pm

As far as family history of cancer goes, no colon cancer that I am aware of. My mother had cancer in her ovaries many years ago, my father had a small cancerous mole removed from his nose (must not have been too serious the whole procedure was done in a doctors office) and my aunt died of bone cancer.
My mother had colitis of some sort and ended up dying from infection she got during surgery for an "incarcerated colon" (I think).
As far as I know we have no history of colon cancer on either side of my family.

I have experienced some rectal bleeding in the past but not too much and it was always during a "very hard" bowel movement. (I pretty much have chronic constipation).

My GP did find a little hidden blood this past week (FOBT) but I also have hemmorhoids.
The week before this started I did do a 7 day colon cleanse with Oxy Powder. My 7 days was up 4 days before this started.
I have had a couple of bouts with something similar to this in the not so recent past (a year or so ago) but never this long. Usually lasted about 2 or 3 days at most before.

Less than a year ago I had a CT scan of my colon (w/ dye and a barium enema) that came back normal.

What do you think?

Thank you so much.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here