News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Swallowing a molar implant (crown) in the digestive tract

Katherine Inwood - Sun Oct 26, 2003 2:20 pm

Please help with my (ridiculous) problem.

I have one molar implant (i.e. special crown on pin implanted in jaw bone), which cost me a blind fortune. On Friday night, whilst eating some cashew nuts, I accidentally swallowed it! It must have been loose, and I didn't realise it.

I immediately drank 2 litres of saline solution induce vomiting, but the tooth did not come out. After much hesitation, I decided on the absolutely awful course of checking excretions, something which I have done since then. I also almost stopped eating entirely.

It is now Sunday night and the tooth has not yet appeared - I wonder whether I missed it. Do you think there is any chance of it still being stuck somewhere inside? I.e. by when should I give up hope?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Oct 26, 2003 4:48 pm

User avatar Katherine,
Sorry to hear about your problem. The ingestion of a foreign object (in this case the molar implant) usually passes within a few days in the stools. You were right to check your stools. The fact remains that you could have missed it.
It is possible for the implant to become impacted in the gastrointestinal tract and this may cause partial or complete obstruction in some cases or chronic irritation in others. Again it may remain impacted and not cause any problems.
I would consider going to a gastero-enterologist and taking his advice on the matter. He may suggest that you do a scan to make sure the object is not impacted somewhere in your intestines.

As for the molar implant its your dentists responsibility to make you a new one and he should not charge you anything.

Best regards,
 Katherine Inwood - Sun Oct 26, 2003 11:59 pm

Thanks very much for advice.

Regards, Katherine

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here