Question: stomach virus?

curiousmom - Mon Jun 27, 2005 9:52 am

symtoms: pain sometimes burning sometimes bloated feeling Very uncomfortable.
Nausea and some vomiting, stools change mostly due to not eating.
Pain increases with activity. BRATY diet used to control nausea. Relief of pain for a very short time after eating only to have pain return with a vengance.

Recurrance seems to occur if when you feel better you eat normally too soon.

I live in atlanta Georgia, my whole family has now experienced this over a period of 4 weeks, and numerous other people we know have experienced this as well

Is this a specific virus? Could this be mosquito born?

All thought appreciated :D
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Mon Jun 27, 2005 5:22 pm

User avatar It does sound like some type of infection, either viral or bacterial. Nausea/vomiting/diarrhea for that long is dangerous, I recommend your whole family be seen asap, as this is most likely not going to resolve itself.
 curiousmom - Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:44 pm

Thank you for your prompt reply.

:oops: Sorry we have all had it at one time or another (contagious? with an incubation period?) duration from 5 days to 10 days. sorry to miscommunicate the duration.

We did see the doctors (pediatrician for kids and gp for me) I was put on protonix and symax. Pediatrician suggested if it did not resolve in a few days a re-eval for appendicitis. My daughter had a relapse after 2 days of "feeling better". Phenegran for nausea was called in. It helped her sleep through the cramping.

I was the first one infected. I suspected food poisoning at first, but it did not respond and did not go away. I now believe I got it from an associate at work who also thought they had food poisoning.

Very little fever, unless you dehydrate. I looked into the coxackie (sp) but it didn't seem to fit. Can't find the details on heliobactor pylori, but mayo clinic on line says it may cause ulcers and frequently causes severe gastritis?

sorry to be so long just trying to clarify a little.
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Tue Jun 28, 2005 4:28 pm

User avatar H. Pylori is a bacteria that causes ulcers and is thought to be contagious as well, although the onset and symptoms don't sound like it's the culprit.

Please clarify more; have you all gotten over this or are some of you still sick?
 curiousmom - Wed Jun 29, 2005 11:26 am

:cry: spent half the night up with my sick 16 yr old and the other half in the ER at the pediatric hospital. His pain was absolutely horrible. (and he's a tough guy) The ER doc check blood, urine, x-ray of bowels ruled out appendicitis but said something about a (spelling) innero virrus?? that produces severe stomach pain Saild it is ususally limited to just a few days.???

I am well after about 15 days of problem 7 sever and untreated the rest treated with protonix and symax. I am very careful about what I ate as the pain seemed to intensify after eating, especially any thing sweet.

My 10 yr old daugter is well 2 bouts of this 2 days bad treated with phenegran 1 good day and then 3 days phenegran and very careful about what was eaten

Son has been sick since monday morning.

hope this makes sense... I beat

taking a nap

curious mom
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Wed Jun 29, 2005 2:51 pm

User avatar Yes, norovirus typically lasts a few days; has anyone done a stool culture?
 curiousmom - Wed Jul 06, 2005 10:46 am

No. No stool culture. Would that clarify the bug responsible? My 16 yr old had trouble (relapse) last night. Yuck! I am tired of this bug!!

|