Question: Stomach Problem.....

Gemi - Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:46 am

Hi, i am new to this so donno if i am posting in the right section!

I need some advice on the following since I have not been able to get an appointment to see my doctor yet.

I am having severe abdominal pains and have been for a week and a half now. It seems to happen more often after I have eaten. I get sharp pains in the left lower part of my stomach which usually last for about 2 minutes. Occasionally I get them when i haven't eaten..... like early in the morning. These pains wake me up in the night frequently.....
Have had dirroeaha aswell..... (nice i know!)

I am a 20 year old girl, currently taking the pill, and have not had problems with my stomach up until now.

Hoping someone can help!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:56 am

User avatar Dear Gemi,
Yes, you've posted in the right section! :wink:

Tummy pains aren't always easy to diagnose. It gets even trickier on the internet.
Anyways, the causes could range from something related to your intestines to pain related to your ovaries, kidneys or virtually any abdominal organ. Lets stick to the first two cause they seem more probable in my opinion. Diahrrea points in the direction of the intestines. You didnt specify how long you've been having diahrrea? If an intestinal problem seems likely then i would recommend a stool analysis for starters.
Now lets come to the second possibility: an ovarian problem. I think this is very possible indeed. Certainly, from the character of the pain, it looks more like ovarian related pain. You mentioned you are on the pill. Please specify which pill exactly.

One possible scenario is:
You take the pill while you have diarrhea (due to whatever cause). The absorption of the birth control pill is hindered due to the diarrhea. So in effect its like you are actually missing the pill for all these days in which you have had diarrhea. Your ovaries start ovulating again and you experience the lower abdominal pain that you mentioned. You are at risk of becoming pregnant as well if this is the case.
This is just a brief discussion of two of the thoughts that came to my mind. A physical examination and a careful medical history would probably help point the direction to take.
I'll be checking back in here to see your reply or any more enquiries.
Dr. Tamer.
 Anonymous - Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:24 am

Hi, and thanks for your reply. I got a doctors appointment on tuesday and he just 'prodded' my stomach and said ' it feels very tender' (usless!) He told me just to eat soft foods until it cleared up. Very disappointed with the un-professional approach! The pain is continuing..... in short bursts at least twice every 30 minutes.

I have had diahrrea for about 2/3 weeks now.
Sorry can't remember the name of the pill....but it begins with 'M' and it is in a green packet. (taken over 21 days)
I am really worried now because i am 'due on' today, and so far nothing has happened. (usually starts in the morning) Could this be a pregnancy problem? I have a steady boyfriend who lives with me and the only precaution i take is the pill.

Thanks again.
 Gemi - Thu Jan 23, 2003 8:27 am

Sorry - forgot to log in! but thats my reply above!

thanks
Gem
 Gemi - Fri Jan 24, 2003 6:34 am

*breathing a huge sigh of relief here*
not pregnant!

As for the stomach pains.....they are just getting worse.... specially in the mornings. This mornings was so bad i couldn't move for the duration of the pain (about 3 minutes).
I have done the analysis thing.... but don't get the results until next wed. Can't believe my doctor didn't give me anything for the pain.... :(

Want this to be over now.... now suffering from period pains AND the normal pains..... actually can't tell the difference between the two now! :roll: Currently taking tablets called Syndol cos they are good pain killers.... (hoping they won't cause any damage to any possible problems?!) Gotta laugh or ill go mad! :lol:
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Mon Jan 27, 2003 12:09 pm

User avatar Dear Gemi,

Thank you very much for using our website.

Abdominal pain are sometimes difficult to diagnose as the belly contains lots of organs that the pain could be originating from.

The clues to the diagnosis are usually accompanying symptoms. You have had diarrhea since about 2-3 weeks now. It looks like you started having them both at the same time.

You mentionned that the pain is in the left lower part of your abdomen and it is usually related to food. Does the pain go anywhere else? Is it associated with any other symptoms at the time of the pain. Is the pain relieved if you have a bowel movement or if you pass gas?

You have not mentionned whether you have any blood in the stools or how many times you have diarrhea a day? Does the diarrhea wake you up at night? Any mucous in the stools? Have you been having any fever? Have you been started on any antibiotics recently for any reason? Did you notice any correlation between the diarrhea and any specific type of food?

These are questions the answers to which can offer some clues about the diagnosis.

The best approach in my opinion is to have a stool analysis to begin with and then go from there.

Gemi - Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:01 pm

Hi again, and thanks for the reply.

I will try and answer your questions now!
The pain now seems to stay in my abdomen area.... no left or right.
But it think it could be related to food.... cos i am loosing weight very quickly despite eating 'soft food'. I now weigh 6st 12..... and am feeling constantly drained of energy.

As for the stools.... the only thing that wakes me up is the pain, and i don't need to go every time i get pain..... there is no mucus. I have been getting headaches..... not sure about fever thou, haven't taken my temperature. I have not had any antibiotics recently.
There is no correlation.

The analysis has been done. I get results tomorrow... so hopefully will know wots wrong tomorrow.
I will be seeing my doctor aswell.

Thanks for your help so far, i will let u know wot the results show......

Gem
 Gemi - Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:46 am

Hi - here's an update for ya!

On wednesday i saw my doctor at 5pm (actually got sent home from work that day cos i was so week) He said the results were normal. He suggested i see a gasterontoligist (probably spelt wrong!) to have a camera in me to see whats wrong. For that i would have to wait 6 to 8 weeks! (the NHS in England is f*ckin cr@p! sorry!) :x

:!: erm..... i know i would be dead by then!
During the last week, the pain has got worse and there now blood in the stools. Recently it has been more blood than diarrhea, and sometimes JUST blood. :shock: My mum called the doctor out at 12 the other nite cos i was in so much pain. He said i would not survive 6 weeks! My mum is now having to pay for private treatment. I am seeing the specialist tomorrow. (what a way to jump the waiting list!) In the meantime i have also had some blood tests (no results yet).

This is getting really annoying now! I can't eat anything without suffering huge amounts of pain then it coming straight out. I have lost nearly a stone in 1 week, i now look like a skeleton! I was thin before..... now i look stupidly skinny! I have no energy and am getting very depressed.

anyway.......rant over! Will let ya know what happens with the specialist on wednesday.

thanks

Gem
 Dr. Yasser Mokhtar - Thu Feb 06, 2003 2:25 am

User avatar Dear Gemi,

Sorry to hear that your condition has progressed this way. i think from what you are describing is that you might have a condition called inflammatory bowel disease.

Hope that the procedure will turn out fine.

Waiting for your update.

Thank you very much for using our website http://doctorslounge.com

Gemi - Thu Feb 06, 2003 10:46 am

next update......

Saw the specialist on Tuesday.... he said this was a very urgent case..... so urgent he cut the normal waiting time of 3 weeks to 6 days. (due to my weight)

I am now booked in to have a camera inside me to see wots wrong. He thinks it is inflammatory bowel disease, but he said if too much is inflamed they will have to operate. Hopefully they will be able to treat me in hospital. In the meantime there is talk of me being admitted to hospital anyway - if it gets to a more urgent state during the weekend..... (hoping it won't come to that!)

Looks like this could be treated during the next week (hopefully!) i'll let ya know what the camera shows anyway.

Thanks for your replies!
Gem

|