Question: Stomach pain and other symptoms

ajm - Tue Jun 28, 2005 1:15 am

I have been having really bad stomach cramps for 11 years since 5th grade. My mom always said I worried too much. I get really sharp pain on my left side, it's not really in my stomach but right next to my hip bone like 2 fingers over to the right. The pain can be relieved by going to the bath room sometimes. I also get sores in my mouth constantly and weird skin rashes. I get bladder infections all the time too. I read some things and they seemed to point to a food allergy of gluten. I am already lactose intolerant. My dad has chron's disease which has similar symptoms but I am not that sever. Do you think it could be a food allergy? And if so how do I find out for sure?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:08 pm

User avatar Dear ajm,
A primary lactose intolerance is due to gradual decrease in the production of lactase enzyme that is important to digest lactose in milk and dairy products.

Secondary lactose intolerance due to intestinal diseases such as gastroenteritis, celiac disease, or an inflammatory bowel disease, especially Crohn's disease.

Symptoms of lactose intolerance include:
Diarrhea, which is the most common symptom
Nausea
Abdominal cramps
Distension
Gas
Symptoms are usually mild but may sometimes be severe

Crohn's disease leads to bouts of watery or bloody Diarrhea and Abdominal pain.
Symptoms range from mild to very severe, and can arise suddenly or gradually over a long time.
1-Diarrhea which is due to water and salt secretion from the inflamed intestinal cells can be severe to affect sleep and the daily activity
2-Abdominal pain and camping result from the thickened wall due to scaring can be mild to severe associated with Nausea and Vomiting. Blood in stool is due injury of the inflamed wall by the passing food. It can be just an occult blood in stool to severe continuous bleeding..
4-Loss of appetite and weight are very common sequences of the disease. In addition other associated symptoms that occur outside the GI include fatiguability, Arthritis, eye and sin inflammatory conditions, and Hepatitis.

Once you have frequent or persistent attack Diarrhea, Abdominal pain, blood in stool, Fever more than a day, you have to visit your doctor to start investigation and proper medication.

The diagnosis of Crohn's disease is usually reached after exclusion of other causes that give Crohn's disease like symptoms. These conditions include, irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Colorectal cancer and diverticulitis.

Colonoscopy and biopsy is the investigation of choice as it confirm the diagnosis by the presence of granulomas which are formed by inflammatory cell.

Individuals with family history of Crohn's disease have higher risk to develop the disease than others.

If you notice any change in your bowel habits, severe abdominal pain, diarrhea or blood in stool (especially not related to milk and its products), you have to visit your consultant and check with him the possible investigations that should be needed to reach the right diagnosis , hence the proper treatment.

|