Question: abdominal swelling/distention

Alicia - Sat Jul 02, 2005 3:34 pm

My stomach swelled up a little over a year ago. It is horrible, it looks like I am 4 months pregnant. It puts so much pressure on my ribs that it is hard to breath sometimes. It is swollen constantly with no breaks even first thing in the morning. I even wake up with severe backaches from the pressure of the distention of my stomach. It is like a nightmare. It never goes away and the thing is I never had a stomach problem in my life before this and it all came on so suddenly. I am only 25 years old I have always been fairly heathy and tried to work out and take care of myself. I have had almost every medical test done known to man- x-rays of my stomach, ultrasound of my stomach, upper GI and small bowel series, a colonoscopy of my large intestines, A hydascan(not sure of spelling) , fructose intollarance testing, bloodwork, and celliac sprue testing, all of which came back normal. The only thing I haven't have done that I can think of would be a colonoscopy of my small intestines. I have even thrown up from it but only a couple of times since it started last year. I don't have any severe stabbing pains from it, But it is the most miserable thing I have ever been through. I was dignosed with endometriosis but had surgery to remove it and the doctor said that it was not on my intestines and the surgery did not change my swelling at all, and the doctor said that the endo was not connected to this problem. I am also constipated but I do have bowel movements they are just smaller than usuall and very thin. I have uped my fiber and vegtable intake, and I use a fiber supplament everyday, nothing and I mean nothing helps.Does anyone know what the heck could be cauing this or what else I could possibly do any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :cry:
 Najah - Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:48 am

you did not mention whether there is an associated weight loss or not ,is there any relation of the swelling to the type of food taken and its relation to the psychological status.However,as the GI investigations and ultrasound are persistantly normal and from your history ,it seems to me that these symptoms are related to irritable bowell syndrome.
 ameeramaria - Sat Feb 25, 2006 1:02 am

You have no idea !! I have been searching for an answer on the internet...I have the exact same problem as you, I am a 32 year old female, and my exams too are negative in evry test I have had done, I did loose weight in the beginining but am know regainging it all, and even more. I also have my lymphs in the pubic area swollen as well as my veins...I need to know if you recieved an answer or if you ever got a dignosis..

Thank you very much
Maria

|