Question: Stomach polyps

maiden75 - Tue Jul 05, 2005 8:34 am

I am a 29 yr old female...I recently had an Upper GI for stomach pain I was having. I was prescribed Nexium and feel better. The upper GI came back normal, but my doctor said all they found were some stomach polyps that she wasn't at all worried about. After reading about these polyps, I worry about stomach cancer 30 years down the road....should they be removed just in case or is it so rare that they don't remove them at finding like they do colon polyps? Does it take a long tme for them to progress to cancer, when they are cancerous, or should I have them removed immediately? My doctor seemed to be totally unconcerned about them. Thanks for all you guys do to help us! :D
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jul 07, 2005 9:58 am

User avatar It is very rare that stomach polyps turn cancerous. If there are many, or they are large, it can be a cause for concern. Did your doctor suggest a gastroscopy? That would let him distiguish the benign ones, which are almost always the case, from the potentially cancerous ones.
 maiden75 - Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:09 am

No, my doctor didn't recommend anything like that. She gave me a presription for Nexium and just told me to take it as needed. I even asked her a couple of times about the polyps and she said she wasn't worried about them and I shouldn't be concerened either. I don't think there were very many from what she said. I am just worried because my dad went to the doctor MANY times about urinary pain/problems and after 2 years of being told to just take Detrol, he was finally diagnosed with bladder cancer, and he was only 52, never smoked a single cigarette, nothing. So a gastroscopy would be the next step in making sure they are non-cancerous? Oh, also about the progression, would this take years to progress if they were cancerous or could it happen quickly? From what I've read most people are much older than I am when diagnosed. Thanks so much, I understand that it's pretty rare so i'll relax a bit, I just wanna have peace of mind and be done with them!
 Shannon Morgan, CMA - Thu Jul 07, 2005 10:22 am

User avatar The cancer is a very slow growing one, it take years, as you know, for them to become cancerous. The problem is that most people just have heartburn and bloating after eating, and may or may not have pain, so they don't complain, and the cancer has been there for years.

Don't worry if you have these symptoms unless of course they are very bothersome, but if it's chronic, an exam is warranted. GERD is extremely common. It is one of the most common reasons people see a doctor. While it can be a factor, it is very rare it would be cancer. It is a good idea to keep an eye on every few years or so, but it is very unlikely that you have the type of polyps that are a risk.

|