Question: Difficulty Swallowing and Breathing

aprilangel - Mon Nov 03, 2003 6:55 pm

recently I feel like I can't swallow and I panic a little. I keep swallowing to make sure that I can. I think about it too much and it makes it worse. I can't stop. What is this?
:?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Mon Nov 03, 2003 7:42 pm

User avatar Globus hystericus is a term given to a sensation of a lump in the throat. Its causes range from gastro-esophageal reflux to psychological causes. It is a form of neurosis. I don't know if this adequately fits your description or not but it is the closest medical term I can think of. When did this condition start and do you have any idea if there was an associated psychological cause?