Question: Crohn's disease and pregnancy

Gemi - Tue Nov 04, 2003 3:49 am

Hi there. I have had Crohn's disease for nearly a year now, and was wondering how Crohn's affects fertility. I have heard it can reduce your chances of becoming pregnant. Is this true? I want children, but consider myself quite too young at the mo. However, if the case is that the longer i leave it, the harder it will be, then i'll start trying now! Advise and comments are appreciated thanks.
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Tue Nov 04, 2003 8:09 pm

User avatar Gemi,
What a pleasant surprise! Its really great to see you here again.

There is no evidence that Chron's affects fertility in women, especially if they are in remission. Current studies suggest that there is approximately a 5-10% chance that a child will inherit IBD if one parent has the condition. The risk is greater if both parents have IBD.

Alot has happened here since you were here last year..
You might be interested in seeing what others had to write in response to your earlier posts.

Click Here!

How's your web profile page doing? :wink:

Regards,
 Gemi - Wed Nov 05, 2003 5:50 am

ello! thanks for your reply. Was really relieved after reading it!

I was aware that IBD is usually passed through the family. Apparently my great grandad had bowel cancel (which killed him) so i think my problem stems from that. :(

Had a look at the replies, thanks for the link. The docs want to do a full camera test sometime in the beginning of next year :shock: not looking forward to that!! :?

My profile thing... not really paying much attention to it these days to be honest! It was updated in august this year i think. ;)
 Jay - Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:56 pm

I was diagnosed wit Crohns in May 2004. I was sick for about a year before without being diagnosed. Finally it got so bad that I couldn't get out of bed, eat, and my weight was down to 89lbs. My family took me to the emergency room and was hospitalized for a week when I finally found out what was wrong with me. I am O.K now and take 12 Asacol a day. I have one child and am in the process of trying to get pregnant with my 2nd. I'm glad there are people out there with Crohns going through the same things. It really made me feel like I'm not the only one. I've been worried about getting pregnant with Crohns also. I just hope I won't have problems getting pregnant. My first child it was so easy and I had a really good pregnancy. I just hope for the same this time around. I still get occasional stomach flare-ups and somewhat frequent bowel movements.I wanted to know if stomach pains and bowel movements change while pregnant with Crohns?
 fran78 - Thu Jan 05, 2006 6:17 am

I have had crohns for the past 9yrs i had a really bad flare up at 18 which affected my heart!
The good news is in answer to your question that crohns generally calms down during pregnancy. I have two children and am currently pregnant with my third, my crohns was inactive during my first two pregnancies and I wasn't on any meds. This time I am going through a vicious flare up but managed to get pregnant whilst the flare up is ongoing! Im currently 9wks and saw my consultant yesterday who put me on 8 asacol to help control it ( I was slighlty worried what affect this would have on the baby, but was assured it doesn't cross the placenta as its not absorbed into the bloodstream).
He told me that flare ups can sometimes get worse during the first trimester but generally crohns gets considerably better during the rest of pregnancy, but can flare up again once the baby is born.
Hope that helps! :D
 xomnunes - Tue May 05, 2009 6:37 pm

hey everyone, im meg. im only 15 and iwas diagnosed with crohns in 2004, i was 11. i have always thought about kids lol IN THE FUTURE but i always ben wondering if it woudl bother me and cause pain. i was sick from when i was 8 till i was 11 and i didnt have any diagnoses, no meds.. i just layed in bed all day and days i woud go to school i would be sick, crying. in elementary school all i wud eat for lunch was like 5 gummy bears and i wud through that up when i got home. very very sick and when iwas 11 before i went into the hospital i was in 6th grade and weighed 50 pounds while all the other kids weighed like 80-90 pounds. i passed out and was rushed to the hospital by ambulence and they finially diagnosed me with crohns. im actually in remission now, only taken 5 mg of steroids CANT WAIT TO BE OFF! lol so much water weight, its sickning...

thanks!

|