Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Fatty Liver

ocklawaha - Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:57 pm

I just had an ultrsound and the report's interpretation states- 'fatty inflitration of the liver and probably also the pancreeas. No cancer was identified. Thoughts?
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sat Jul 09, 2005 5:36 pm

Alcoholism can cause liver inflammation (alcoholic hepatitis) and scarring (alcoholic cirrhosis). Another reason for fatty liver when a person does not drink is AFLD/NASH.

A Nonalcoholic Fatty Liver Disease/Nonalcoholic Steatohepatitis (AFLD/NASH) can be caused by obesity, diabetes mellitus, medication such as rheumatoid arthritis meds & corticosteroids, poor diet, autoimmune disorders, certain types of illnesses such as tuberculosis, and NEW FINDINGS - gastric bypass surgery for obesity after the removal of small intestine. A person is diagnosed with a fatty liver when the fat makes up at least 10% of the liver. Just eating fatty food by itself DOES NOT produce a fatty liver.

Usually a doctor will have a suspicion in a patient and request liver enzyme tests, ultrasound, CT or MRI, sometimes you may find out your liver enzymes are up in a routine blood screening. Once the fatty liver is diagnosed, depending on the severity, your doctor may confirm the finding by a liver biopsy so the appropriate treatments can take place.
 ocklawaha - Mon Jul 11, 2005 3:39 pm

Thanks for the response. Yes, I drink but very ocassionally. I am overweight and have a tendancy to yo-yo up and down. I am more concerned about the fatty pancreas. What are your thoughts about that? Liver function studies have been negative to date. This is a brand new issue for me.
 b0etijlc - Tue Nov 29, 2005 11:34 pm

In Oct 2005 I had a CT Scan with contrast which showed diffuse fatty infiltration of the liver, some small calcified splenic granulomas, and one calcification seen in the area of the ureter at the level of the left ischial spine behind the phlebolith.

My AST is 75 and ALT is 45. I was also diagnosed with fatty liver in 1997. I also am slightly overweight and do not drink excessively. In fact rarely. I do not smoke either.

My urologist ordered the CT scan because of hematuria. He ordered another CT Scan, which I had on 28 Nov 2005. My Gastroenterologist did an endoscope and found chronic inflammation in my stomach and esophagus in spite of the fact I have been taking prevacid since 1997. He also received a copy of the report on the second CT scan and it said the spleen and kidneys were normal and there were no stones and said nothing about fatty liver.

How can 2 CT scans performed the same way at the same facility in such a short time be so different? :shock:

Thanks for any information you can provide. I go back to my Gastro Friday.
 Rhonda P, CEP - Sun Jan 01, 2006 10:36 pm

User avatar Dear B0etijlc,

How did your check-up with the Gastroenterologist go?

Sometimes the diagnosis varies depending upon the person reading the CT scan, different Radiologists interpret things differently. This can cause frustration with the patients and doctors.
 b0etijlc - Sun Jan 01, 2006 11:11 pm

Actually, my Doctor said the report indicated that there had been no change in the fatty liver diagnosis - from the first report. So they really were the same. I'm still trying to loose weight and get my GERDS under control. I have not been able to talk (just croak) since last Sunday (7 days) now. My throat has been so sore I went to my family doctor last Wednesday for a strep test. No fever and strep test negative. My gastro doctor is out for Christmas and I'm just trying to hang on until the 11th. I will be having the liver profile done at that time also. I've lost the 10 lbs due to my GERDS problem.

I've been on ever kind of medicine and nothing is working. I am now taking 2 Nexium and 2 Reglan per day. I'm so sore from my throat down to my stomach that I can hardly move.

Thanks for your reply.
 Peachy49 - Tue Jan 10, 2006 10:31 pm

I was dx with HCV in 01'. Went undiagnosed 20+ yrs. I went thru tx's and attained an SVR. Recently tho, I have had a finding of diffuse mild fatty liver infiltrate, different from previous CT. I am due for bx, but doc hasn't contacted me yet. I was hospitalized with nausea/vomiting twice in last two mo very severe, and diarreah. They admitted me and did CT and US of the liver My pancreas could not be seen due to overlying bowel gas. I do not drink, never have, am just the right weight. I do have diabetes in my family, very prevalent. So far the only elevated enzymes I have are Lipase, amylase (2-3x the norm), protein 8.8, elevated WBC and RBC, and I did have ketones in the urine 5+. I am wondering if the fatty liver is causing symptoms or is it my pancreas? Who should I follow with the hepatologist doesn't seem to think these are liver symptoms. Should I ask my gastro when I see him next mo. or can you shed some light onto this matter? Thanks.

|