Question: when to call the doctor

betzbet - Mon Jul 11, 2005 8:17 pm

I have been having a problem with diarhea for several weeks, maybe longer. Everytime I eat a meal it is like an instant laxative. I get stomach cramps and pain and immediate need to go. I have diahrea four or five times a day. Even after I feel like I am done I have [spasms] that are almost like contractions during child birth. It is so painful and i think it has caused hemmerhoids because there is a lot of blood. My stool seems to be mostly watery with a lot of mucous.
I had a c-diff infection, pseudo membranous colitis about ten years ago and I am afraid this might be that again but I don't want to panic if it isn't anything serious. I guess I keep hoping it will resolve itself.
What do you suppose the chances are of it resolving itself?
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:04 am

A change in bowel habits and blood in stools are two reasons why you should seek medical attention as soon as possible. It could of course turn out to be an infection and resolve with antibiotics, however, more serious causes need to be excluded. This can only be done in the clinical setting.