Question: Mucoid plaque - Is there any such thing in the colon?

cap269 - Wed Jan 22, 2003 2:40 am

I'm writing an article for my website against colonics and bowel cleansing. I would like a quotation from a doctor and/or medical specialist for the following questions:

Is there any such thing as "mucoid plaque" in the colon?

If not, what could those dark rubbery ropes eliminated by people who are "cleansing" consist of, some claiming to be many feet in length?

Can the colon really retain fecal material for "decades"?

Is "autointoxication" a valid medical concern?

Do "liver stones" exist (in the form of green floating objects made of cholesterol and bile), and can they be passed as part of a cleansing?

Have autopsies revealed the presence of either mucoid plaque or liver stones?

Will a colonic de-florify the large intestine?

What are the specific dangers of a colonic?

Please indicate your permission to publish your answers, and please provide your name and credentials. Thank you for your attention.
 hollyndays - Tue Sep 13, 2005 11:37 pm

Hello Cap 269 . . .

I guess no one wanted to "stick their neck out" to answer you. Seriously, though, you have asked a great many questions. I think you can find a number of good answers at http://www.quackwatch.org, for one reference. Since it has been so long since you posted your questions, you've probably sought elsewhere for answers. The world-wide web being what it is today, I have no doubt you've found many.

In my own nursing experience, having prep'd many patients for colonoscopies, I have never seen a foot -long anything come out, let alone "mucoid plaque." I have seen nothing to make me believe that there is any possibility of there being 10-year-old fecal matter in people's colons.

I believe frequent "colon cleansing" is not rational and is not scientifically founded. And could be harmful including throwing off balance the natural flora in the gut, thereby leading to other problems. Occasional fasting for a day, sure, why not, if it makes one feel better? But, drinking plenty of water (average a couple to three liters a day for an adult), a diet with high fiber and decent whole grains, appropriate servings of vegetables and fruits, as well as normal amounts of protein, low and unsaturated fats, etc., etc. . . . you know the pitch, I'm sure. People get dependent on laxatives. It's probably not too far a stretch to think they might also become dependent on "colonics."

You may enjoy this long, but insightful article covering much more than colon health:

http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/471156

If you have to, register yourself so you can access articles. In case this link doesn't get it to you, once registered, look up
Naturopathy, Pseudoscience, and Medicine: Myths and Fallacies vs Truth; Posted 03/25/2004, by Kimball C. Atwood, IV, MD

Good luck to you.

And oh yes, there is the placebo effect to be considered. Pick your battles carefully.

Holly, RN

|