News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Diarrhea, gas and weight gain

belly - Wed Jul 13, 2005 3:26 pm

I am a 40 year old female who has always had a "sensative" stomach, but in the last few months it has gotten much worse. I now have constant gas, and find myself running to the toilette after almost every meal. Often I don't even make it through the meal before I have to excuse myself, and 80% of the time I am having diarrhea. I swear that as soon as I eat something, it runs right through me and ends up in the toilette. In addition, I have some type of bowel movement everytime I go to the bathroom (even if I haven't just eaten). You would think that I would be losing weight since the food doesn't stay inside too long, but I am actually gaining weight. In the last month or two I have gained so much weight that my clothes no longer fit and I am very uncomfortable. I often have a dull stomach ache, and on occassion a more intense stomach ache. Can anyone out there help me? I am truly frustrated and embarrassed. Thank you!
 Theresa Jones, RN - Fri Jul 15, 2005 8:38 am

User avatar Hi belly,
Do your symptoms seem to worsen after eating foods higher in sugar and carbohydrate content? It seems as though you are experiencing symptoms of increased gastric motility or "dumping syndrome". I would suggest an evaluation by your physician for some diagnostic studies.
Sincerely,
Rntdj

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here