Question: SOB and Mid-upper Abdominal Pain

js2777 - Sat Jul 16, 2005 9:01 pm

27-year old male, 6'0ft 275lbs. A year and a half ago I went to the doctor with the feeling like my lungs didn't have room to fully inflate, some general chest discomfort, and the feeling like there was something in my throat. I have tried various inhaled medications with no results and have a pulmonary funtion test come back normal with slightly low lung volume. I have had my thyroid function checked and a cardiac work-up, all normal. In 1999 I had bowel obstruction surgery and the doctor removed many adhesions. I am on protonix 40mg 2x daily. Over the past two months things have gotten worse. The breathing is the same and is not made worse by exercise. I seem to now have a pause when I go to swallow solid foods or saliva, not liquids. The pain at the base of my ribcage is constant and worse after I eat. Last week I had bloodwork, chest and abdominal x-rays all normal. I am growing frustrated. Any help?
 Dr. Wafaa Abdel-Hadi - Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:35 am

Dear Js2777,

Well, I think what you have to do next is an upper endoscopy to check your esophagus especially the lower part and your stomach as well. Your chest X-ray is totally normal?!

On the other hand... you can have a Ct-scan for your chest and abdomen and that would certainly reveal what's going on. With the upper endoscopy they can get some biopsies and have it analyzed from lesions that are suspected and causing you that pause when you swallow.

|