Question: IBS, infection, or parasite?

quita - Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:03 pm

I've had this problem for about 4 months now. Been seeing docs. My primary perscribed me 3x's now Flagyl 500mg 3x daily for ten days. An abdominal antibiotic. This surpressed it but as soon as the meds where gone, it was right back again. Here are my symptoms, Lower abdominal pains, bad gas although it doesn't seem to stink, Just painful. A high amount of mucus in my stool. Bad Constipation, to the point where I have double dosed Metamucile daily and prune juice and still have to use a supository to go and when it is really bad, I have to use more stuff. My primary sent me to a specialist and I had a colonoscopy that turned out fine. He thinks it is IBS. I asked him why the antibiotics surpressed it and he said "I don't know" :? Well, I was just wondering if there is a parasite or infection maybe this sounds like and if there are any tests I can request to find out more. My symptoms wern't always this bad iether, It worked up to this point. I also have had anal sex,(not anymore!) and have seen blood afterwards. My doc says this probably isn't the cause, but I am still unsure. What do you think? And can IBS be surpressed by antibiotics?
I also want to thank you guys who are helping people. It is really a good thing, I don't have health insurance and it is expensive. I'd just like to ask for the right tests as soon as posible. Thank you again. :wink:
 mattforu - Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:12 pm

Hello Doctor in the Forum,,I am age 50 and for the last 6 years or so I have strange bowel movements such alternating watery stool in different colors to somewhat normal bowel movements that appear in yellow brownish clay color.During the morning at around 10:30 am I will have some what of a normal bowel movement and then after I will eat a rather substancial amount of food, I tend to get a fast exiting bowel movement that is very watery. The color somewhat can be a brown green or a dark brown to orange color.6 years ago I had a Colon Oscopy and it was very clean according to my Gastroentologist. But he did mention the possibility IBS but he also asked me if I drank and I told him I do as I drink Kettle One Vodka in the evenings before bed.How do I find out what this abnormality is that I have been accustomed to living with the last 6 years.It seems the food I have eaten being the heavier meal the night before tends to digest over night and then as soon as I eat the next bigger dinner the meal from the night before seems to fast exit and comes out always watery. Tell me what do you think all the possibilities and causes are.? Now my father passed away 4 years ago of Gastric Stomach Cancer so should I be alarmed about these strange bowel habits ? I have no pains for the most part that accompany the bowel movements before I go to the bathroom?

|