News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Food Allergies

Tex - Tue Jul 19, 2005 10:47 am

Is it possible to become allergic to foods like Beef? The last couple of weeks, when I eat meat, really of any sort, my stomach starts to cramp. The pain isn't really intense, just enough to be annoying. When I wake up in the morning it feels as though the meat from the night before is still on my stomach. So I stopped eating meat about 2 weeks ago and everything was great. Then yesterday I decided to test it. I ate a hamburger, and the rest of the day the cramps were back and still annoying. 5 Hours later I still felt like the food was still on my stomach. I live in Texas. Being a Vegetarian around here is almost blasphemy. Just checking if it's possible that I could have developed an allergy or do I need to see my Physician? Thanks for any help.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:19 am

User avatar Dear Tex,
Allergy to certain food usually starts since childhood while acquired conditions should be more investigated for an underlying cause. What you have described is more likely to be indigestion related to high protein containing food.
Food indigestion presents with any of the following:
Pain in the stomach or abdomen,
Bloating (distension feeling),
Gas,
Nausea,
Acidic taste,
"growling" stomach,

Indigestion after high-protein meal does not mean that there is hyperacidity to the contrary it means low acidic medium inside the stomach.
Proteins need high acidic medium to be digested while fat and carbohydrates need more alkaline medium. Thus a correct combination of food while eating is important to ensure convenient medium for digestion.
Not only the combination but also the order of eating is important for proper use of their content.
Examples:
Protein containing food should be eaten separately from carbohydrate one. Avoid eating acidic food (like fruits) with or before eating proteins as the external acidic products decrease the gastric secretion of acids and slow the digestion of protein meals.
Fatty meals take more time to be digested hence, if proteins are taken after it is more likely to stay in the stomach for longer time. Proteins when remain for longer time and undigested they aid certain bacteria and organisms to flourish causing gas, and GI irritation.
Indigestion is a wide term that needs to be properly investigated and might be a presenting symptom of one of these conditions: gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), GI ulcers or gallbladder disease. When no underlying cause is found, it is named functional or non-ulcer dyspepsia.
You better take an appointment with your consultant for proper management.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here