Question: should i be worried

imtiredofthis - Tue Jul 19, 2005 4:52 pm

For months now I have been dealing with bowel issues. I constantly have mucus in my stool mixed with blood. Sometimes i have the urge to go to the bathroom and all i move are mucus and blood. I have a constant itch as well. My stool movements are usually soft and leave my anus feeling uncomfortable. I went to a specialist he said my rectum was inflamed. They found nothing in my stool sample. He gave me anti inflammatories for 6 weeks and they have done nothing. The problem seems to be getting worse. Is it just my diet? Should I be really concerned? Please help me out, the specialist and my doctor don't seem that concerned but bleeding and mucus constantly don't seem normal to me. I need this problem fixed. Did I mention I'm constantly bloated as well. My stomach is hard. Any advice i'd appreciate.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Jul 08, 2006 10:41 am

User avatar Dear imtiredofthis,
Changes in the bowel habit like constipation or loose stool.
Per rectal Blood and mucous or pus
Rectal or anal irritation in the form of itching or discomfort
Abdominal pain
Sometimes fever and generalized fatigue
These symptoms and signs are manifestations of inflammation of the mucosa lining the rectum or the rectum and colon a condition known as proctitis or proctocolitis respectively.
These conditions are either due to infectious diseases or non infectious disease as a part of inflammatory bowel disease (including Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis)
Infections include a variety of parasites and protozoa e.g. Entamoeba histolytica and Salmonella or
a part of sexually transmitted disease like herpes simplex and Chlamydia.
Diagnostic tests include stool analysis to check for parasites and protozoa. Samples are collected before receiving any medication and should be repeated for 3 times to find the possible organism causing the infection.
Other tests according to the suspected cause like segmoidoscopy and colonoscopy to visualize the lining mucosa and take biopsy if needed.
Keep on follow up with your doctor and discuss with him the possible investigations that can be done to reach the diagnosis and the proper treatment.

|