News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: nausea when eating

EMD - Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 pm

]Hello. I have ibs and Gerd. For the last 8 weeks i have occassionally been experiencing nause after starting to eat a meal about 1/4 of the way through (and have been very close to being sick). and have had a very mild ache just below my left rib and in the centre above my belly button. This comes about very suddenly and is quite a suprise. My appetite has also decreased slightly although i have not lost weight. I am not pregnant. I do experience nausea with GERD but this is different no reflux with it. I am 26 and otherwise healthy. would appreciate any suggestions as what maybe the cause.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:34 pm

User avatar Dear EMD,

Although both IBS and GERD give similar picture, Gall Bladder or Billiary disease should be considered.

Iin such cases the pain is felt as
•Fullness or gas ,
•Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occur mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radites to the back or belwo the right shoulder.
Associted with:
Nausea and vomiting
Heartburn
Chest pain under the breastbone

Abdominal US should be done in these cases.

Psychological causes like anxiety and depression can manifest in similar way, the diagnosis of such cases is by exclusion.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here