Question: nausea when eating

EMD - Thu Jul 21, 2005 12:30 pm

]Hello. I have ibs and Gerd. For the last 8 weeks i have occassionally been experiencing nause after starting to eat a meal about 1/4 of the way through (and have been very close to being sick). and have had a very mild ache just below my left rib and in the centre above my belly button. This comes about very suddenly and is quite a suprise. My appetite has also decreased slightly although i have not lost weight. I am not pregnant. I do experience nausea with GERD but this is different no reflux with it. I am 26 and otherwise healthy. would appreciate any suggestions as what maybe the cause.
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Aug 04, 2006 9:34 pm

User avatar Dear EMD,

Although both IBS and GERD give similar picture, Gall Bladder or Billiary disease should be considered.

Iin such cases the pain is felt as
•Fullness or gas ,
•Severe pain that is felt mainly in the right upper quadrant or in the upper middle of the abdomen ,occur mainly after meals (fatty), the pain may worsen after deep breath and radites to the back or belwo the right shoulder.
Associted with:
Nausea and vomiting
Heartburn
Chest pain under the breastbone

Abdominal US should be done in these cases.

Psychological causes like anxiety and depression can manifest in similar way, the diagnosis of such cases is by exclusion.

I advise you to follow up with your doctor. Only by complete history and physical examination, the correct diagnosis can be reached.

|