News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Problem with Diarrhea & a bad episode..please help

GeorgiaDawg - Sat Jul 23, 2005 3:49 am

I am looking for some help,
I am currently unable to afford a hospital or doctor visit.
everyday for atleast the past year I have problems with Diarrhea. . but recenlty went threw a very bad episode.
Day1:
I woke up very tired, sore, & sleapy. that night I started with a cold sweat & uncontrolable clear mucus like bowel movements. Feeling disoriented shaken & like my brain was swimming.
day 2
started with a fever of 102 peaking at 103.7 Constant cold chills & hot flashes with the same uncontrolable Diarrhea every 20-30 minutes, very disoriented to point I needed help walking, & having trouble understaning people.. throbing headache & started throwing up. The Diarrhea changed later that day to a black fowl smelling but controled. fever started coming down,
Day 3
fever is gone but still have the bad headache and now a stiff neck, very light headed and weak.
I am currently on the fifth day after the episode and still have the headache, light headed fealing like my brain is loose in my head . Diarrhea is now brown/red and every hour or less . .....Any Ideas or help is greatly apprectiated
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:05 pm

User avatar Dear GeorgiaDawg,
Diarrhea associated with aches, chills, cold symptoms, nausea or vomiting is probably a viral GASTROENTERITIS.
If it occurred after eating a food that could be spoiled then a possibility of FOOD POISONING is there and probably others who have eaten in the same place or the same food will have similar symptoms.
Severe cramps and yellowish, or bloody stools are usually characteristic of BACTERIAL DIARRHEA or parasitic infection as in the case of (GIARDIA).
In the majority of cases with diarrhea, symptoms subside gradually with no specif treatment.
However, of utmost importance is the replacement of fluids and minerals that are lost in the stools. Otherwise, sever hypotension and weakness will result and is sometimes very serious. Hypotension results in headache and weakness.
Stool analysis can help identify the causative organism and antibiotics or anti parasites are prescribed accordingly.
You better be checked by your doctor, meanwhile try to take plenty of fluids and enough minerals and supplements.
Best regards,

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here