Question: 17 year old with lower right side pain; really worried

Arcasya - Sun Jul 24, 2005 10:03 pm

A couple months after my sixteenth birthday (I am currently a few days away from being 18, so its been almost two years), I began to have severe lower right side pain. My doctor determined it was a bladder infection. After I was cured of this, I got another. After that one was gone, I continued to have pain that was similar to bladder infection pain only not as constant. After many tests and many medications, and an ER visit, my doctor couldnt figure out was was wrong. So he sent me to a gyno. After more tests and a Pelvic Laproscopy, they still couldn't figure it out. I was curious if someone could give me any suggestions of what this might be. Currently, the pain is mild to moderate on my lower abdomin on the right side, close to my hip bone. Sometimes it wraps around to my lower back. Sometimes the pain lessons after a bowel movement. Laying down in certain positions can make the pain lesson or worse depending on the position. Sometimes pressing on it makes it hurt worse, other times it doesen't. Usually if I am up and about, the pain lessens or goes away. My parents think it might be caused by the fact that I spend most of my time sitting in a chair playing video games. I am starting college at the end of August and would hopefully like to get this pain gone by then. I would appriciate any advice and ideas.
 Crown - Mon Jul 25, 2005 12:44 am

First of all...I am not a medical professional. Just someone that suffers with the same pain. I am wondering what kind of test that were run on you to try and determine the cause of your pain? I just had an ultrasound and transvaginal ultrasound last Monday and they found an ovarian cyst a little over 3/4 inch. The doctor doesn't think that a cyst that small would cause the pain however. I am going in on Tuesday for a barium enhanced ultrasound. I'm not sure what they are looking for, but apparently there are numerous things that could cause it. I know one is Irritable Bowel Syndrome. Do you have any trouble with your bowel movements either alot of diarrhea or constipation or even both? Just trying to give you some ideas. I hope you get some resolution.
God Bless!
 Arcasya - Mon Jul 25, 2005 1:15 am

First of all, thank you for replying. I don't feel so alone now :P

About the bowel movements, I haven't had any problems like that. They're pretty normal.

And my gyno determined that I had a cyst about seven months ago, and he put me on birth control. When the looked again, a few months later, the cyst was gone but the pain remained.
 Crown - Sun Aug 28, 2005 11:53 am

Just checking in...not sure if you've gone off to college yet.

I hope you have found some resolution to your issues with the LRQ abdominal pain.
I have actually been scheduled for a colonoscopy in mid-September as we have
some Ulcerative Colitis and Crohn's Disease in my family. My pain is not constant
any longer, it just pops it's ugly head up to let me know it's still there once in a while.

You take care and have fun in school and I hope that life has gotten better for you.
I do know that excersice can help in some cases.

God Bless...Pam

|