Question: Constant Burping, Head Pressure

burpingguy - Tue Jul 26, 2005 4:55 pm

A few years ago I was layed off from my job. At about the same time I started having a slight dry caugh that would not go away (after a cold). Doctor prescribed several things that didn't work (steroids, anti-asthma stuff) until I started burping up painful acid. By this time I was on asthma medication which sort of worked. Got on rinitadine and now on to Protonix. This has cured the acid and all lung irritation but along the way I also started burping constantly, even on an empty stomach (first thing in the morning!). I've had an Upper GI, an ultrasound on my stomach, a barium swallow and an endoscopy. No hernia, cancer or ulcers as far as anyone could tell but the endoscopy showed a weak lower esophageal sphincter. It feels like my stomach swells up, allows air to enter my esophagus and pressure is exerted against my heart and lungs, making it difficult to breathe and causing high blood pressure (i've measured it to around 170/79 at worst) in my head - and forcing me to constantly burp to relieve the pressure. Also some light-headedness, swelling of the sinus and throat, head muscle cramps/tightening and anxiety. I'm now trying anxiety medication because these symptoms seem to get much worse when driving and greatly lessen when in very relaxed atmospheres (parties, being on vacation). No effects on the burping yet but the muscle cramps/tightness in the head have gone away. Can the burping be stopped??? I feel like I"m going to pop a blood vessel in my head one of these days!
 quita - Sun Aug 07, 2005 7:36 pm

I am no doctor, but I know how it is to need help. Have you tried looking on the search engine Google for exesive gas remedies? I know it can be grooling to search for the cure on your own but sometimes it can help to see what kind of herbal remedies are out there too. I would type in some key words like exesive gas blood pressure and sinuses and see what comes up. Good luck to you.
 burpingguy - Mon Aug 08, 2005 3:42 pm

Yeah, I've tried searching for excessive gas remedies for years. Nothing works because it's not really excessive gas, it just fools you into thinking that it is. I think I noted in my earlier post that I was trying anti-anxiety drugs right now. The first two weeks didn't seem to have any effect but the last week has been great. Lots of relief from Lexapro. I'm fairly sure that the air is either being swallowed or, more likely, that I've got some sort of anxiety related esophageal spasms that cause air to be pumped into my stomach. In any case, the new medicine seems to be working so far. Hope it lasts!

Thanks.

|