News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Liver Diseases

Question: Hep-C/Milk Thistle

CJW - Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:36 pm

I was diagnosed with Hepatitis-C about 12 years ago.
(yes it was drugs, I have been sober/clean for more than 12 years. Even gave up smoking 10 years)
It has been confirmed several times. I've never had any symptoms. I would rather use herbal medicine. I am wondering what herbs to use, and how much, to help keep my liver healthy. What do you think of Milk Thistle and Dandilion?
Thanks,
CJW
 Jackie E. Pool, LPN - Mon Aug 08, 2005 8:36 am

User avatar The liver functions as a filter for the blood, processing and removing wastes and toxins. A damaged liver can repair itself to a certain extent, but some types of liver damage are irreversible. Milk thistle seeds contain the active component, silymarin, which is a powerful anti-oxidant. It helps the liver flush toxins and has been shown to repair damaged liver cells,

There are few known side effects of taking milk thistle, which has been used as a food for centuries, although a very few people may be severely allergic. Check with your doctor to be sure it is safe for you.

Dandelion (the entire plant preparation) has been used for stimulating appetite and for relieving stomach fullness and gas (dyspepsia). Dandelion leaf has been used for stimulating the appetite, and for promoting water loss and blood circulation. It has also been used for gallstones and arthritis. The leaves are also sometimes eaten as food. Some herbal/diet supplement products have been found to contain possibly harmful impurities/additives. The FDA has not reviewed this product for safety or effectiveness. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more details.

If you have any of the following health problems, consult your doctor before using this product: gall bladder problems, diabetes, stomach problems , allergies. Dandelion may increase the acidity of the stomach. Consult your doctor or pharmacist for more information since this effect may worsen ulcers or heartburn. The liquid preparations of this product may contain sugar and/or alcohol. Caution is advised if you have diabetes, alcohol dependence or liver disease. Ask your doctor or pharmacist about the safe use of this product. Dandelion must not be used during pregnancy. If you become pregnant or think you may be pregnant, inform your doctor immediately. Because of the potential risk to the infant, breast-feeding while using this product is not recommended. Consult your doctor before breast-feeding.

Hope this helps, always consult doctor before taking any Herbal Remidies.
 CJW - Mon Aug 08, 2005 11:25 am

Thanks for the info.
I make my own herbal remedies so I don't have to worry about impurities. I think its best to know excactly what I am putting in my body. Will try the milke thistle, already am using dandilion in a concoction.
:mrgreen: :?
CJW

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here