Question: Pylori, Dyspepsia and history of stomach cancer in family.

tanyar - Thu Aug 04, 2005 4:17 am

Do I need an endoscope?

After taking painkillers for a pulled shoulder muscle I found bleeding in my stools, stopped taking the painkillers and visted my GP. He gave me a Pylori test which came back postive. After 7 months my breath test came back negative but I continue to have Dyspepsia. My dyspepsia has been made worse by continuing anxiety. My smear came back recently with CIN2 and I am waiting possible treatment. I also have anxiety about my Pylori and dyspepsia as my father died of esophagus and stomach cancer and had digestive problems for as long as i could remember. Early on in my treatment my doctor recommended I may need to go for an endosope but since my negative results this has fallen by the wayside. My GP advised me that my dyspepsia will go on it's own eventually. I haven't got much faith in my GP unfortuantely because I don't seem to get much feedback from him. What I really wanted to know was, considering my fathers history, is an endoscope warranted? should I push for this?
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:26 pm

User avatar Dear tanyar,

Gastritis, esophagitis and gall bladder disease are common causes of Dyspepsia Gastritis is an inflammatory disorder affecting the gastric mucosa.

Causes include:
- Reflux Gastritis: due to exposure to the irritant secretions of the gall bladder and pancreas.
- Reflux esophagitis in GERD.
- Infectious Gastritis: commonest is H. pylori.
- Chemical irritants: like NSAIDs.
- Dyspepsia is rarely the presenting symptom of gastric cancer.
Peptic ulcer disease (PUD) is an open sore in the mucosa of the stomach or duodenum. Patients usually present with burning upper Abdominal pain that increases when the stomach is empty and relieved by Antacids, Vomiting or eating.

Upper endoscopy is very effective in identifying most of these causes.

I have one question, you mentioned that your smear came back with CIN2 you mean you have cervical intraepithelial neoplasia grade II. If it is, this is really critical and further management
should be started.

Only by complete history, physical examination and investigations, the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to follow up with your doctor.

Keep us updated.

|