Question: intestinal problems..help!

mommy mel - Thu Aug 04, 2005 8:51 am

Hi...I am 38yo and 135lbs female.
I have been having "stomach issues" for over 3 years. It began with my gallbladder,which was removed because they said it wasn't functioning properly.
I have been seeing a gastroenterologist on and off since. 2 yrs ago I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy which showed gastritis and esophagitius? Put on aciphex for 6 months.(I have been on and off since, when problems occur) I am to revisit my gastroenterologist in a week for symptoms that have plaqued me on and off for the last 3 yrs in hopes to resolve some issues.
I have excess gas...alot!!! (ex:can't eat an egg or banana or will get extreme gas pains)
Have a pain that reoccurs under my left breast..has been sharp. (very scary...takes breath away)Nausea, burping, left side pains, loose stools, indigestion, constipation (I try to eat oatmeal daily for fiber), hemmorhoids, terrible bloating, and bowel sounds that are so loud my husband says keeps him up at night.(lol) The biggest issue that bothers me the most is the strong dull pains that occur in my kidney areas. (althought not a kidney problem). Every time I have had a chest x-ray or other x-ray that could see the abdominal area the radiologist has commented on "loops in my intestines with lots of air pockets" or similar statesments.I have also taken as a supplement probiotic acidophilus that seems to help somewhat with the gas. What tests would you recommend? What should I emphisize at my dr.'s appt? (I want to find out the problem, not just go back on drugs?) Thanks in advance for your advice.
Mommy mel
 Dr. Safaa Mahmoud - Sat Aug 05, 2006 5:41 pm

User avatar Dear mommy mel,

Gas and burping are not considered a health problem although they cause many disturbance especially when you are in public.

- Abdominal pain, associated with Gas, Bloating and irregular bowel movements is more likely to be due to IBS. Crampy abdominal pain, often relieved by defecation is a typical symptom of IBS.
The disease is believed to be due to autonomic dysfunction or hormonal imbalance that can be easily controlled by simple changes in the lifestyle, diet.

Commonly people who have IBS complaint of
Abdominal pain or colic
A bloated abdomen
Gaseous distension
Either Diarrhea or Constipation or an alternating between both of them
Mucus containing stool
Certain types of foods contain, chocolate, milk and alcohol might aggravate the condition
Stress increases the frequency and the severity of symptoms in almost all cases.
Super added infectious GI attack will worsen also the symptoms.

--The symptoms and signs of IBS are very non specific and shared by many other conditions affecting the GI tract like GERD, Gastritis (for which you have a past history) , Gall bladder diseases.

Excess gas may also result of:
excess swallowed air,
eating certain types of food that elaborate a lot of gases while digested or drinking carbonated beverages.
Eating certain types of food that are not tolerated by the GI (due to lack of certain digestive enzymes as in the case of lactose intolerance) are also a common causes of gas.

Only by complete history , physical examination and investigations , the correct diagnosis can be reached. I advise you to Follow up with your doctor.

|