News  |  Journals  |  Conferences  |  Blogs  |  Articles  |  Forums  |  Twitter   

Headlines:

Doctors Lounge - Gastroenterology Answers

"The information provided on www.doctorslounge.com is designed to support, not replace, the relationship that exists between a patient/site visitor and his/her physician."

Back to Gastroenterology Answers List

Forum Name: Gastroenterology Topics

Question: Losing a lots of weight.. don't know why..

Anonymous - Sat Dec 06, 2003 8:50 pm

Well this has been going on for almost a year..I'm losing weight and can't figure out why..I'm a 28 year old male and i've been having digestive problems..My appetite is still good actually I find myself always hungry hours after i've had a good meal.. One side of my nose is always congested and clear mucus stays in the back of my throat..I have a sore stiff neck thats worse upon waking up in the mornings..Swollen pea sized lymph node on the right side of my neck, my eyes are always red with lots of blood vessels covering most of the white area, My stools are partially digested with mucus at times..Havent seen any blood just mainly mild mucus with yellow coloration on the tissue..The stool has an ammonnia,chemical odor which I don't know if that is related to the symptoms and usually leaves a greasy film on top of the water in the toilet.. Also I notice the stool smells like the actual food that is eaten.. I am nauseated at times, tired and always feel very drowsy.. My energy is still pretty good despite the other problems..I've lost almost 30lbs in 6 months and it seems the more I expel waste, the more weight is lost..It seems i'm mainly losing body fat and can't put it back on.. low grade fevers, ocassional night sweats, hot flashes, abdomenal pain mainly in the upper region that is dull and irritating..Its worse during the day but can't feel this when sleeping and insomnia...

Test i've had are flexible sig, upper/lower GI series which found acid reflux in small bowel follow through..Colonoscony/endoscopy, amylase/lipase test, bone marrow aspiration, abdomenal/pelvic CT scan (twice), Abdomenal ultrasound, CT scan of the neck and Fine needle aspiration for the Lymph node swellings (reactive node), 4 HIV test 2 months apart for each, ova parasite stool test, chest xrays (4), TB test (pos inactive exposure), urinalysis and at least 25 CBC test in the last 7 months..All these test were negative and normal..In my CBCs my WBC would always be on the low range..Doctors told me that this was attributed to me being an african american..

I'm sure stress is playing a part but its hard to control b/c nothing has been found and i've been dealing with this for so long i'm very worried.. Symptoms came on gradually with first being the night sweats, low grade fevers, diarrhea/loose stools started the weight loss..I went from having bowel movements 3 times a week to 6 times a day...

Medications i've been on
Started out with Cephalaxin antibiotic, allegra(daytime/pm) , flagyll, Vermox, Inosaid (for TB exposure), Zoloft, prevacid,protonix,prilosec, nexium, Vitamin B6, Colazal (was thought that I had IBD)...
My doctors are stumped b/c they say all my test are fine bloodwork,CT scans ETC.. A few of them still thinks its IBD b/c of the weight loss.. I thought it was also b/c my dad had crohn's disease..A reason that leads me to believe that I may not is b/c I don't see any blood in my stools...
If any of you can please help me I would greatly appreciate it..i'm losing hope..

Thank you!!
 Dr. Tamer Fouad - Sun Dec 07, 2003 3:59 am

User avatar Laylow,
You haven't mentioned a stool analysis. It seems you are on the right track.. Have you been investigated for malabsorption and steatorrhea (fat in stools)?

Please refer to our pages on both these topics
If you haven't already done a stool analysis I think you should do one. If as the pages above suggest you are found to have fat in stools then a 24 hour stool fat analysis is indicated.

Please let me know how things turn out.

|

Check a doctor's response to similar questions

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Are you a Doctor, Pharmacist, PA or a Nurse?

Join the Doctors Lounge online medical community

• Editorial activities: Publish, peer review, edit online articles.

• Ask a Doctor Teams: Respond to patient questions and discuss challenging presentations with other members.

Doctors Lounge Membership Application

advertisement.gif (61x7 -- 0 bytes)

Tools & Services: Follow DoctorsLounge on Twitter Follow us on Twitter | RSS News | Newsletter | Contact us

Copyright © 2001-2010
Doctors Lounge.
All rights reserved.

Medical Reference:
Diseases | Symptoms
Drugs | Labs | Procedures
Software | Tutorials

Advertising
Links | Humor
Forum Archive
CME Articles

Privacy Statement
Terms & Conditions
Editorial Board
About us | Email

We subscribe to the HONcode principles of the HON Foundation. Click to verify.We subscribe to the HONcode principles.
Verify here